Chapter 5

Serena's POV:

I nodded my head towards the back gate of the garden and Darien pushed it open. The picket fence was purely decorative since it wasn't even waist-high. I glanced around, but all of the windows were empty and no neighbors were watching.

The sun was already close to setting, so it was no wonder that my stomach had wanted food. I headed towards the shed and led the way inside. He seemed confused as he saw the neat rows of tools against the walls.

I grinned in slight mischievousness as I walked towards the back wall, "Have you figured it out yet?"

I twisted the empty hook and slid the door sideways, revealing the tiny room hidden behind it. The skylight above allowed some light in. He closed the main shed door behind himself as he came closer in curiosity, "I wouldn't have guessed that this room was back here."

He leaned past me to stick his head inside, "I don't see why you found it embarrassing. It is clean and I don't see anything wrong with it."

I shrugged, "Most people would have taken one look and left as fast as they could."

He snorted, "Then they were fools." He glanced back at me, "What do you usually do for supper? We can go to a restaurant if you want, I will buy."

I shrugged, "I have some sandwiches from the cafe, if you don't mind bread that might be a bit dry. There aren't any places to eat near here."

He smiled, "That sounds good." He wandered in and sat down on an old rug as he leaned against the wall. His presence brightened up the place in a way I couldn't explain. I closed the sliding door behind me and went to sit beside him.

Four sandwiches and a couple baggies of veggies came out of my backpack. I examined the sandwiches, "There is ham and cheese or some funky turkey thing that is quite popular."

He was watching me, "Whichever one you don't want is fine with me."

"I was never much for spice and the sauce on the turkey one has a bit of kick to it."

He reached over and managed to snag the correct sandwich. He unwrapped the plasticwrap and took a bite, "This is quite good."

My own mouth was too full to reply, so I nodded. Leftover sandwiches made up all three meals if I was lucky. I reached over to grab a carrot stick and nibbled on it.

Darien started speaking slowly, "I am... different. You saw my speed earlier. I am also stronger than normal people. Any injury heals swiftly and it takes a serious wound to leave a scar. Those guards were not there because I had broken a law, but because I was being held captive as they tried to find out if they could give other people abilities like mine. What do you know about that research center?"

I made a face, "Not much, but most of what I know isn't flattering. Most of their experimental drugs kill more people than they save." My friend being a prime example.

He turned to examine my face as he caught the faintly bitter undertone in my voice. "So you have no difficulty believing that they would hold someone against their will for the name of science?"

I shook my head, "No. They let volunteers keep taking their experimental drugs even if they happen to learn that a certain drug is actually fatal. They don't even warn them. I lost my best friend to that place. They knew for months that people were dying about a year after they started taking it, and they kept letting her take it without warning her."

My throat felt thick with grief. I missed her so badly. It had been a long time since I had a close friend or anyone I could really confide in.

I felt two hands on my waist as I was suddenly lifted and pulled into Darien's lap. I tensed up as his arms wrapped around me in a comforting fashion. I was stiff in surprise for a few moments before I relaxed and leaned back against him. I could feel that weird energy between us, as if we were two magnets being held apart while the force between them just keeps trying to close the gap.