40 - Shopping

I had just exited the salon with my hair trimmed and conditioned. Feeling good and in the mood to shop, I drove downtown with plans to hit all my favorite stores. When I arrived to the main shopping district now known as the Galleria, I parked the car in a private garage before heading out to the busy street.

"Calla?"

If I hadn't just gotten my hair done, I would have pulled at it. Seriously, just my luck to run into my sister and mother. Why are they still here in New Haven? I had thought they would be back in New York by now.

"Calla"

I wanted to go back into the garage but Rose took hold of my hand. Holding back a sigh, I turned to face the beautiful mother-daughter pair. Behind them were their usual bodyguards dressed in tieless gray suits. Normally, I would walk the street without anyone notice, but now that I'm with Ivy and Rose Lind and their guards, everyone on the streets turned to look.

"I didn't think we would run into you here"

I live here.

"Are you out shopping as well?"

What else would I do in the city's most famous shopping district?

"Join us?"

I rather not.

"Come, mom and I are heading to Xochi"

Before I could say a word, Rose already pulled me alongside her.

Xochi is one of the world's most exclusive custom jewelry brand store. Every piece was original with no duplication in design. The Owner of Xochi was a good friend of the Frye's family. Despite Rose and Eli broken engagement, the Lind family still have close connection to Xochi. Therefore, when the store manager personally came out to greet Rose and my mother, I was not surprised.

"Thank you for joining us"

While my mother was busy reviewing a custom order she made with the store manager, Rose and I were off to the side, looking at the displayed jewelries. Hearing Rose thanking me, I glance over at her to see her usual soft smiles.

"Really... thank you..."

I didn't know why she was thanking me so kept silent.

"Rose, dear" Our mother called. "Come and take a look at this"

I had expected Rose to go over to our mother side. I hadn't expect her dragging me with her.

"What do you think?"

It was apparent that my mother was asking Rose the question.

"It's beautiful mom" My sister smiled and turned to me. "What do you think Calla? We had it made for dad birthday"

The custom made watch was elegant and handsome. But I didn't need to answer because Ivy Lind already told the manager to wrapped it up for her. Clearly, my opinion was not needed. While I remain expressionless, Rose appeared troubled by our mother coldness toward me. Rose did not know my little encounter with our mother, so was not aware that our mother was not "pleased" with me at the moment.

"Mom" Rose gently called. "Let's go to lunch. It's been a while since we all have a meal together"

"We already have plans with Eli's mother, remember" Ivy Lind voice was just as gentle as Rose was.

"Yes" Rose turned to me with a smile. "Calla can come with_"

"No sweetie" Ivy Lind continued with a kind smile. "Maybe another day dear"

"Mom" Rose frowned. "Calla is_"

I didn't know why Rose was persistent in getting me involved when it was futile. I felt foolish to be treated like air in their conversation so I turned to leave.

"Calla!" Rose rushed after me.

Once outside the store, I made my way into the private garage where my car was parked while ignoring Rose's calls after me.

"Grab her"

A unfamiliar voice came at me from behind. Before I could react, I was suddenly grabbed. I knew enough self-defense to get out of the stranger's tight hold. Jabbing him in the gut before turning and kneeing his family jewels, I rushed to escape when Rose's screamed made me turned.

"Calla!"

Seeing two masked men grabbing my sister, I panicked and rushed to help her.

"Grab her quick!"

A large white van came out of nowhere and two more masked men came rushing out to grab me. I was ready to fight - refusing to back down without one. But the gun pointing at Rose stopped me at my tracks. When Rose and I were shoved into the white van, all I could think was how unlucky the day was becoming.

Seriously, what is with my luck lately?