The Original Ingredients Of The Soul

Our original resources are very simply - peace, love, purity, knowledge and happiness. In Raja Yoga meditation these are called the five original qualitiesof the soul. When we return our consciousness to these five qualities and remember them, then the following feelings arise in us, which finally get reflected in our actions
:• Love: I care and I share.
• Peace: I harmonize and reconcile (adjust).
• Purity: I respect and I honour.
•Knowledge: I am and I exist.
•Happiness: I express and I enjoy.

To understand and remember these qualities, we need to recognize the heavy deep shadows or personality traits(“sanskars”) which have blotted them out, or polluted them. Sometimes we don't recognize the pollutants because they have ingrained themselves so deeply into the personality that we say ‘I am this’. True, complete spiritual knowledge, makes us aware of these pollutants and the practice of meditationempowers us to dilute them and get them out of our consciousness.
The primary quality or the original condition of a pure mind, a pure self, is peace. Initially there was no confusion about 'who I am'. As time passed by, and we came in the process of birth and rebirth, we began to identify with what we are not, starting with our own physical form, and then with external things like lands, positions, material possessions and people. These multiple identities generated the first confusions.In those moments, our inner peace was broken. This is why today so many people suffer from an identity crisis, but are so used to living in this crisis that they are not even aware that it is a crisis.They are not sure what they should be. They are constantly comparing themselves with others. They regularly aim to be like others.

They even imitate (copy) the lifestyles of others: all signs that they don't know who or what they are. And if they think they are sure aboutwho they are, the stability it brings does not last for long, as it is almost always based on 'something' external to the 'self’, something that must therefore be subject to change. In other words each and every one of us has learned to identify with something we are not.

This loss of true self-identity, at the mostdeep level, the spiritual level, is what gives rise to fear. And when what we fear might happen actually does happen,we get angry and try to control what we cannot control, so that it doesn't happen again.