Chapter 41: His Hands Are Down My Shirt

The following week flew by leaving us with twelve more lessons to perfect our recipe and bake it for the entire class to taste. The only problem was that Tyler and I spent too much time fooling around in his kitchen, watching Adventure Time and passing out on his couch to actually come up with anything worth using as our final piece.

Distractions and inside jokes were clouding our motivation to pass the assignment since we spent so much time laughing instead of baking. But I didn't mind because hanging out with Tyler was pretty fun. In fact it was really fun. He made me feel at ease and all my problems ceased to exist; it was just me, him and the endless banter that made us double over with laughter until we could no longer breathe. Over the past few years I had totally forgotten just how good his company was and I couldn't be more thankful that we were back to being good friends - really good friends.

I guess that had it's downside because we were now far behind all the groups in terms of our final idea.

Yesterday, Tyler and I experimented with different chocolate cakes - or at least we tried to until he ran his flour covered fingers all over on my face. I retaliated by shoving him away but he latched onto my waist and we both fell to the ground. After that we managed to get some work done until we came close to a food fight. Rosemary just happened to walk in on us when I jumped onto Tyler's back to snatch the egg he had tried to stuff down my shirt.

It was kind of awkward to explain that we weren't fondling with each other, but Tyler's hand was literally down my chest when she busted us and I turned into a living replica of a ripe tomato. Rosemary simply raised an eyebrow and walked back out of the room, clearly traumatised whilst Tyler and I broke down into guffaws.

Since the end of the semester was two weeks away, the volume of the classroom was insanely loud and I couldn't hear myself. Ms Smith continuously yelled at everyone to quieten down but it was no use; heated arguments brewed between every pair, each one trying to perfect their recipes and struggling to come to agreements.

Stress levels were rocketing sky-high and I caught a glimpse of Michelle smacking the back of Dylan's head because he failed to follow her instructions. I barked a laugh. It wasn't his fault he was paired with the reincarnation of Lucifer. My eyes took a tour of the classroom, flicking between the twelve groups and settling on Michelle again. Her voice seemed to ring louder than the rest of the pupils, deafeningly screeching at Dylan for burning their cake to a charred, blackened brick.

Even Blake and Mona seemed to be fighting over their cake, arms flailing around as if they were a married couple arguing over financial issues.

It's just an assignment, I thought quietly to myself.

Surprised at my sudden shift in attitude towards passing with flying colours, I wondered what had changed. At the start of the year, there was nothing I wanted more than to get an A; but now I didn't seem all that bothered. Sure, I still wanted to get an A but it wasn't the end of the world if we scraped a B in our assignment.

I achieved something far more important throughout this entire assignment and right now, he was staring at me with a questioning look but I couldn't concentrate - not when he was so close to me, gazing at me beneath his lashes.

Perched on the counter beside the oven, I pushed Tyler's arm away as he waved Rosemary's life saving cookbook in front of my face, chattering at lightning speed about an idea for our final cake. My thoughts were scrambled and I was unable to focus on anything. Especially since he was leaning on top of my thighs, skimming through numerous recipes before holding the book up to my face again. His arms were sprawled over my jeans and I was holding up most of his weight although I noticed that he kept shifting his position to lessen the burden of his weight.