Fireflies - 10.2

Annabelle's POV

Recap: I turned in the bed, and was shocked to see not Jace, but his mother the queen, standing at the door.

The Queen

I stared at the Queen and she stared back at me

I stared at the Queen and she stared back at me. It was almost as if we were daring the other to speak first as we both stared at each other in shock.

The Queen, although intimidating, looked scared. Almost vulnerable. Even if that was the case, I was still scared out of my mind. She was the Queen after all, and even if she wasn't known to be a cruel vampire, she still has an extreme position of power, one that I should be wary of.

Luckily for me, the Queen spoke first, though her voice wavered. "How did you get that Ukulele?" It was a question, but it almost seemed like it was one that she didn't want an answer to, she already knew the answer.

I looked down at the ukulele in my hands as if it was cursed, trying to will it to disappear, so there was no evidence of my having it in the first place.

The Queen was doing the same thing it seemed. She then looked back up at me. "How did you learn that song?" This time I think she wanted me to answer, she looked so desperate to know. Her eyes full of panic and sorrow, desperate for comfort.

I kept my eyes on the Queen, trying to keep my voice confident, but submissive. It's a hard task to think about these things when you're so nervous. "My mother." I said, sadly. I missed her badly.

"Your mother, the witch?" The Queen questioned, prying for more than just a two-word answer.

"Yes, she used to sing it to when I was a child... before..." and I stopped myself before I could say anything damming.

The Queen looked like she wanted to say more, but she just smiled sadly at me. "It's a beautiful song."

I smiled back at her, and she turned and left through the still open door, closing it softly behind her.

No more than two seconds later, the door crashed open, slamming loudly against the wall. Now here is Jace. Where was he 30 seconds ago? Also, he really needs to get a door stopper or something. Though to be honest, it would probably just go straight through the wall.

"What did she want?" He said, looking panicked. Jace must have seen his mother walking out of the room. Although it turned out to be an almost pleasant interaction between the Queen and I, Jace's panic stricken face made me nervous.

"She wanted to know where I learned the song I was singing." I said, looking at Jace. He looked back at me, urging me to tell the whole interaction. "I told her I had learned it from my mother, who sang it to me as a child. Then she smiled and told me it was a beautiful song. Then she walked away." I said, again feeling confident in the conversation I had, had with the Queen.

Jace, looked almost relieved. "She wasn't mad about the ukulele?" I shook my head, I believed although her first reaction wasn't all that positive, she seemed fine with it in the end.