♱Chapter 41♱

Alec's P•O•V

A couple days had passed and I hadn't slept at all. I stayed in my office, trying to figure out where my brother had taken Raven.

I knew what Raven had asked. I knew she didn't want me to come after her ... but that was something she couldn't expect me to obey. I couldn't be without her. I'd live every day for the rest of my life in agony if she wasn't in it.

I couldn't rule this kingdom without her. Hell, I couldn't live without her.

My purposeless heart regained its beat just two days ago, and even though I survived, I wasn't living.

Not without Raven.

I leaned my elbows on my desk and placed my head in my hands, my fingers gripping my hair in frustration. I was tired and lost. Sure, Vampires could go without sleep for a couple days if need be, but I was wiped. There were literally millions of places that DeMalo could've taken Raven. How the hell was I supposed to even begin to narrow down where they had gone?

My eyes felt heavy, and I began to doze off until I heard a knock on my door. I breathed in a deep breath and sighed. I picked my head up from my hands and called for them to come in.

"Your highness." Andrei, one of my personal guards, came in and bowed to me. He was wearing casual clothes instead of his normal armor, as I instructed for his task.

"Did you learn anything?" I asked, sitting back in my leather chair. Andrei dropped a photo on my desk and pushed it towards me.

My eyes widened as I looked down at the photo taken by a security camera. It dated to two nights ago. DeMalo and Raven were in the photo, DeMalo's hand behind Raven's back as he lead her down the airport hall. I grumbled under my breath.

"Just as I thought. Did you find out where they were heading?" I asked Andrei, my heart picking up speed. If DeMalo and Raven went to the airport, we could track their tickets to where they went.

"They went to New York. Their flight left at midnight and arrived in Milan roughly around 3 am. From there they flew to New York City..." Andrei trailed off, waiting for my reaction. I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"New York City? Why would he go to the most obvious place?" I murmured, wondering to myself.

"Your Highness, I don't think you should go to New York City..." Andrei suggested quietly, looking quite worried of my expression when I snapped him a critical look.

"Now why is that?" I asked harshly, wondering if he thought of me as weak.

"I don't think DeMalo went to New York City to hide. I think he went there so you'd come after him. He wants your crown, and he can't have it unless you die. If you go to NYC, I'm afraid that's what he has planned." Andrei informed me. I sat back and nodded, understanding his concern.

"I believe that you're right, but you know I can't stay. I can't leave Raven." I stood and faced him.

"Tell the rest of my guards that we're leaving tonight." I informed him.

"We're going back to New York, and when we get there, DeMalo must die."

Raven's P•O•V

I lied in my bed, turned towards the window. I was curled up under the covers, but I couldn't sleep. All the noises of my home city had returned to my ears. I breathed in deeply and took them all in.

I hated them. In this circumstance, the sounds of sirens, car horns, and all the disruptions made me sick. I longed for the quiet of Romania, the peace and silence of the enormous castle where I could always find a place to hide away and have time to myself if need be. Here, you can't escape it.