Chapter 26

I was surprised when Ava didn't follow, but relieved. Though she'd tried to kill me twice already, I didn't want any harm to come to her. And with what I was about to do, I wasn't sure that I'd be able to keep her safe.

My plan was to first talk to the guys, who were all probably still down at Finn's party, and to try to hash out just what had happened on the day of Randi's death. I wanted to keep things civil, to have a rational conversation with the young men that had acted as my bodyguards these past few days, putting their own needs aside in order to look out for me.

Though internally I still found it impossible to believe that Marko, Finn, and Biff could possibly have anything to do with such a horrendous crime, I had to admit they'd positioned themselves into a tricky place. One that I wasn't sure I'd be able to get them out of.

But what if you're wrong? My internal voice chimed in. What if they are as guilty as Ava makes them out to be?

What would I do? Could I bring myself to stop them, to bring them to justice? And what if they didn't want to come willingly?

The second part of my plan, and the very reason I'd taken Ava's gun, was that after I'd cleared things up with the boys –assuming they were innocent as I suspected– I planned to confront Banks. I wouldn't waste time beating around the bush, or playing it cool, I'd meet him head on and get the truth no matter the consequences.

I was so lost in thought, that I almost didn't notice when a figure stepped out in front of me.

"Vera," I said, startled at her sudden appearance.

"Sage," she replied slowly, her eyes hidden from view as the dark shadows around her covered up most of her features. "In a hurry?"

"Yeah, I was just heading over to Finn's party," I answered.

Aside from the occasional harried wave, this was the first time since I'd woken up that I'd been able to really talk to Vera. Back in the training room when I'd woken up without a clue as to what happened, she had directed herself primarily at Banks and Jade. It'd hurt a little since we'd used to be close back in candor.

However, though I really did want to talk to her, to catch up and know why she'd been so distant lately, I had a goal in mind and I couldn't stray from my path.

"Sorry to be in a rush," I said as I attempted to sidestep her. "I just don't want to be late."

"Late? Coming back is more like it, no." She drawled, blocking my path and inching closer as she spoke. "I saw you leave with Jade. But when she came back a minute later you weren't with her."

I blinked, surprised she'd noticed that when I hadn't even seen her among the crowd.

"Yeah, well I had something else to do," I hedged, knowing fully well that if I tried to lie she'd see right through it.

"Had someone to see?" she added as her lips pulled into a thin line. There was a pause as she slowly shook her head, appearing disappointed. "A certain someone you were forbidden from speaking to no less."

"Ava you mean?" I asked, careful to keep my tone casual. It hadn't been a lie, so the words had left me easily. "Well nothing bad happened if that's what you're worried about. We just had to sort some things out between us."

She studied me for a few seconds then sighed. Oddly, she then curled a finger for me to lean in, as if she were about to tell me a secret. I did so, feeling her hair brush against my cheek as she uttered in a low whisper.

"You know damn well that's not who I'm talking about."

Before I could react to her threatening tone, before I had a chance to move out of the way, Vera had whipped one of her hands from behind her back and pierced a syringe into the side of my neck.