39 | Sydney

I caught up to Jacob in a matter of seconds, grabbing his arm and forcing him to face me.

"Jacob, I need to explain that."

"No you don't." Jacob shook his head, "I get it. You're into him still. It's not weird, you guys dated for like four years."

"But I didn't come here to get back together with him." I insisted, letting go of his arm. "I wouldn't have brought you with me if that was the plan."

"The plan was to make him jealous, Syd." Jacob shrugged, "I know why I was invited. I just thought that things might change between us on this trip. And clearly, they didn't."

I shook my head, unsure of what to say. Jacob was one of my closest friends who I cared for more than anything, and yet I didn't want to blow things with Connor. I loved them both--albeit in completely different ways--and I knew that I was going to have to salvage both relationships tonight.

"Yes." I admitted, "You were brought here to make Connor jealous. I'm not going to stand here and deny that. I had just been dumped and I wanted him to feel bad about it. But you're also one of my closest friends, Jacob. I don't want to lose you over this."

"You haven't." Jacob replied, "I understand. I dated someone in high school who I would still get back together with in a heartbeat if she would take me. But she's dating someone else, and I'm alright with that." He shrugged again, a wry smile on his face. "I just have a terrible case of bad timing."

I laughed, glad that he was attempting to break the tension.

"I'm sorry again." I whispered, hoping desperately that he got the message. "I just have to see if I can save this thing with Connor. He's the love of my life, and I don't use those words lightly." I shook my head, the highlights of our relationship running through my head, "It was the kind of love that I used to see in chick flicks in high school and wish for. I owe it to myself to make it work."

Jacob nodded, taking my hand in his.

"I understand, Syd. I hope that you get him, I really do. You're still my friend and I want you to be happy." He smiled, his eyes showing the genuine love he had for me. "You deserve the world. I hope Connor can give it to you."

I smiled, the first genuine smile I had given in weeks, and leaned up to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"You're the kind of guy who's going to end up with the most incredible girl one day, Jacob." I told him, "And I hope I can be there to meet her."

Jacob grinned, blushing slightly.

"You will be, I'm sure of it." He replied, "I'm going to head out tomorrow, though. I'm sorry that I won't be able to make it to the engagement party." He grinned, "But I think you'll have the date part covered."

I felt my heart swell with appreciation for the man standing before me--a friend I felt I could truly trust. Who actually cared about what happened to me.

"Thank you." I nodded, "For everything."

Jacob smiled.

"Bye, Syd."

"Bye, Jacob."

He turned and walked off, towards the hotel he had been staying at for the past few days. He didn't turn back, but I watched him until he disappeared from view.

And the second he did, I turned around and walked to Connor's apartment.

It was a walk I knew incredibly well, a walk that I had traveled many time before. The years seemed to stretch out before me as I walked to his apartment, knowing that I was going to find the love of my life inside, waiting for me. Waiting to rebuild us.

I entered the apartment building and began walking up the steps to the second floor, hearing footsteps coming down the other way. I moved to the right side of the staircase, ready to let the other person past.

They rounded the corner and I looked up to smile politely, only to have my expression change instantly. Shelby Toth stopped in her tracks and looked down at me, her face the epitome of rage.

"Sydney Porter." She sneered, "How wonderful to see you again."

"Shelby." I nodded curtly, "What brings you to this building?"

"Just visiting my good pal, Connor." She smirked, "You know that I'm his date to Britt and Dan's engagement party, tomorrow, right?"

I shook my head.

"I think that might change, Shelby. Did you talk to him just now?"

Shelby nodded enthusiastically.

"I sure did! He said he's incredibly excited for tomorrow, and that I better wear something nice."

I stood still for a moment, thinking everything over. A few weeks ago I would have stormed out, my mind made up and my heart torn in two. But I looked into Shelby's eyes and saw the raw hatred she had for me, and something changed.

"Did he really?" I asked, laughing, "Or are you just up to your old tricks?"

Shelby's face went from gleeful gloating to angry confusion in an instant.

"My old tricks?"

I covered the ground between us in two seconds, grabbing the front of her shirt and yanking her towards me until our noses were almost touching. A small squeak of surprise came out of her as I pressed the pointer finger of my free hand into her chest.

"I haven't told Connor about last year," I snarled, "But I have no qualms about letting loose if you try and interfere in my relationship one more time. Do I make myself clear?"

Shelby's eyes were wide with fear; I had never threatened to use my knowledge on her before now.

"Yes." She whispered, and I let go. She stumbled backwards, dusting herself off before stomping down the stairs in a huff. I started to walk up them again, before I heard her call my name from the bottom.

"By the way, Sydney?"

I turned around.

"Yes?"

Shelby smirked, the fear gone from her eyes.

"Don't get too comfortable here. I always get what I want in the end."

I shrugged, my hands on my hips.

"That's funny. Because I think I'm getting what you want right now."

A/N: Hey guys! I'm so sorry for the missing updates, but life is hectic! I was sick for a little while and had a ton of midterms, and on top of that, I'm working on a brand-new book for NaNoWriMo that is taking up a ton of my time, since I started a week late! It's a fantasy book that I'm super excited for, and hope you guys will be interested in it when I'm done!

Happy (early) Thanksgiving to everyone, and I hope that everyone (whether you're American and celebrating Thanksgiving or not) takes time to remember their blessings and how loved you all are! 

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter, and let me know your thoughts! Betcha thought Syd was going to take the bait, huh?

-Katherine