15.

Excuse any mistakes. Zeke in the mm.

LA
Same day

"I write for young girls of color, for girls who don't even exist yet, so that there is something there for them when they arrive. I can only change how they live, not how they think."

Ntozake Shange

Nia and the girls decided to go to the mall after school. It's been a while since they went shopping together plus Mariyah wanted to buy some shoes. A pair of shoes she didn't really need.

Surprisingly, the mall is one of Nia's least favorite places. She rather do her shopping online and if she did go to the mall, she would rather be with Zeke or her Daddy.

Zeke and her Daddy bought her anything she wanted. Naomi did, too. But the downside of going with Naomi is that Naomi shopped til she dropped.

Nia couldn't spend hours at a mall. Unless she was in the food court.

"Mariyah, you need to hurry up before I leave you." Nia huffs, glancing at her watch that was on her wrist.

Miyah looks at her, and chuckles slightly. "What's got your panties in a bunch?"

"We have practice?" Nia responds sarcastically.

"Oh, I forgot." Miyah shrugs as she returns her attention back to the dress she has picked up. She contemplates if she wants to buy it, but remembers her mom taking her credit card. "Ah, shit." She mumbles to herself and places the dress on the rack.

"I can't forget. I lost this weekend and have not slept since."

Mara nods her head as she stuffs her mouth with a soft pretzel. "I've noticed the bags under your eyes." Nia shoots a glare in her direction. "It's okay, Nia. You can't win them all."

"I've never lost." Nia looks at her. "What if this becomes a trend? What if I lose Friday?"

"I doubt it." Miyah says while eyeing an old white lady who walks past her. "You're too good and way too fast. Saturday was just a bad day."

"Why did you look at her like that?" Nia asks.

"She was looking at me. You know how I am about that. I'll stare someone down in a minute." Miyah rolls her eyes. "Bitch." She mumbles to herself.

"I heard that." Mara chuckles.

"Just sit there and nurse your little pretzel, preggers." Miyah smirks.

"Please stop speaking such negativity in my life." Mara sighs. "I need my period to come on. Now."

"It's funny how women be running from that shit every month until that shit do not come on. Pregnancy scares are fun."

Nia looks at her weirdly. "You've had one?"

"Hell no." Miyah shakes her head. "I'm a virgin."

"Bitch, stop lying." Mariyah says as she appears empty handed.

"Where's the shoes?" Nia asks.

Mariyah shrugs. "I didn't want them anymore. They kept getting uglier the more I looked at them. I'm hungry, let's go to the food court."