Chapter Six

On Saturday morning, I was severely unmotivated to get out of bed. I was just glad that I didn't have school. We had worked on the project all week after school and, by the weekend, we were done with it.

Ryo's soccer practice occupied a lot of his time but, on days that he had practice, the three of us went to the library during our shared free period.

After the assignment was over and done with, I had no inclination to see Julio Hernandez ever again, but there was still that still part of my brain that niggled at me, that had me considering what he'd said about not wanting to see him. I hadn't pushed it the next few days and I was in two minds about it, I just wanted to leave it alone but I also wanted to talk to him about it and understand what he meant. I was unsure, though, because curiosity killed the cat.

Finally, it was the weekend. I didn't have to leave my room and all that I was obligated to do was homework. Ally had called about a trip to the movies and then shopping, but I'd declined, lying and telling her that I was sick. I felt guilty about it until I'd heard that the trip had been Millie's idea and she and Tamsin would be going on it, too.

"Why are you at home?" My mother asked, standing in the doorway of the room, surveying me with disgust. How nice. "Shouldn't you be doing something with your life?"

"It's a Saturday." I answered, suddenly wishing that's I'd gone with the others. Putting up with Millie and Tamsin was better than putting up with my mother.

"So?" She asked, examining the room with displeasure, as if the small changes I'd made were bothering her. "Do you not have friends?"

"You know, Mom." I said, emphasising the word with obvious condescension, "For someone who warned me to stay away from her, you seem to be seeking me out a lot." I smirked, pleased with myself.

"Oh, I came here to warn you. Would there really be another reason for me to talk to you?"

"What could the great Tiffany Wentworth have to warn little old me about?"

"It's just something that you'd do well to remember. I don't care about what you do with your time as long as it doesn't ruin my reputation. It has come to my attention that you've had certain guests grace the halls of my home that I don't want around here. You cannot spend time with trash like that because it reflects badly on me. Are we clear?"

"No, we're not." I informed her, my voice steady, "I will hang out with whomever I want and you don't have a say in what I do and who I talk to. Please, leave my room because, in all honesty, you need me and I don't need you."

She harrumphed, seething. I could see the fire in her eyes. She turned around and walked out of the room, wearing her six inch heels as easily as I wear my Converse.

But, as I heard her receding footsteps, a sinking feeling dawned on me as I remembered the look in her eyes. Had I made a mistake? Because as much as I said that she needed me more than I needed her, she could ruin my life with a snap of her fingers.

My phone rang a while later, sending Hey Mama blaring through the otherwise silent house. Ally had stolen my phone from me a week before to put her number in, and had made that her personal ringtone.

"Hey Ally!" I answered, genuinely excited to talk to her.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" She asked, and it was then that I remembered the lie that I'd told her about being sick.

"I'm a lot better, actually. I guess I just needed some rest. How was your shopping trip?" I lied through my teeth, feeling guilt pinch at my conscience. I'd thrown her to the wolves earlier.