Part 36: Working Class Man

Hey everyone! I hope you've all had a merry christmas and are enjoying the holidays!

New chapter here and I hope you enjoy it! I want to say thank you again for the massive support, as of today this story hit as high as #49 on teen fiction! I couldn't believe it!

Don't forget to keep smashing that vote button! Love you loads, enjoy!

It took Mason two weeks to get over his initial bout of flu, and by the next week, all he had was the sniffles and a cough.

We hadn't mentioned the doctor situation again but when I offered to get Mason's second prescription of antibiotics made up he refused to let me go, taking my Jeep and going himself leaving me without transport and a grumpy attitude.

In the two weeks of watching movies in bed with him, I hadn't actually been focusing on the plots more focusing on ways for me to get Mason the money for his sister.

It came to me that I should get dad to somehow employ him in his business. Mason was good with numbers and I knew dad would never say no to helping someone out. So, when Mason was getting our dinner from the Chinese place I took the opportunity to call dad.

"Hi sweetheart, how are you?" he answered in his usual cheerful tone.

"Yeah I'm good thanks, dad, I do need to ask a favour though."

I went on to explain - or fib - how Mason was looking for a job and was struggling to find something that would allow him to keep up with his studies. I explained that I didn't want Mason to know that I'd asked for this and if there was anything that Dad could give him that paid well and allowed him to work from home. I also made it very clear that dad should just call Mason and offer him with no mention of this conversation or any kind of help from me.

He ummed and ahhed about it before telling me that there were some old files lying around that needed to be sorted and broken down into year by year averages - I kinda zoned out when he brought up the details - but I said it was perfect and when I heard Mason's keys in the door I had to quickly say goodbye and thank him profoundly in the space of .3 seconds.

"Was that Mel complaining about Cameron leaving the seat up again?" He chuckled, setting the containers on the bench and beginning to unpack them.

"Yeah, she's getting sick of it." I laughed, avoiding his eyes and making my way straight to the boxes of food, ignoring him and attempting to hide my lies.

"What time do you have uni tomorrow?" He asked, his voice a little croaky as he pinched my green beans from the top of my container.

"I'm not going, I'll just watch my lectures online. It's still too cold and I need to catch up anyway."

"Since when do you skip school?" He asks, feigning shock as he nudges my arm and I take my box to the floor in front of the couch.

"Since it's too cold and I need to catch up," I say a little too bluntly than I meant. He gave me a confused look and opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by his phone ringing.

He stared at like it was a bomb about to go off before asking, "Why is your dad calling me?"

I shrugged, watching my noodles intently as to not give myself away.

"Hello, Mason speaking," I rolled my eyes at how formal he was being and pretended I wasn't paying close attention to his muffled words as he moved to our bedroom to talk on the phone.

I contemplated pressing my ear against the door to hear clearly but I didn't want to take the chance of him opening it suddenly and getting caught.