Chapter 4

*Your POV*

We're all in the gym, sitting in the bleachers. I'm next to Betty and Veronica. Someone with red hair is standing in the middle of the gym.

"Thank you for that moment of silence. Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and everyone one of you meant the world to Jason." Jason..is this Jason Blossom? The one rich kid with a twin Jughead was telling me about? "I loved my brother." I look over at Betty and her eyes are watery, "He was, and always will be my soul mate." I look back at the girl speaking. "So I speak with the confidence only a twin could have." Yep. It's him.

I look around and see Archie, looking at a teacher sitting in a chair. What? Why would he be looking at her?

"Jason wouldn't want us to spend the year mourning. Jason would want us to move on with our lives. Which is why I've asked the School Board not to cancel the Back-to-School semi-formal." Everyone starts cheering, "But rather to let us use it as a way to heal, collectively, and celebrate my brother's too, too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all." We all start cheering again.

~

Betty, Archie, Kevin and I are all sitting at a table, listening to one of Archie's songs on his computer. He's a pretty good songwriter, I think.

"Can I join?" someone asks, I turn to see it's Veronica.

"Yeah," Betty says.

Kevin and I slide over and Veronica sits down. "What are we doing?"

"Listening to one of Archie's songs," Betty says.

"I thought we were going to have to pretend to like it, but it's actually really good." Kevin comments.

"Wait, that was you singing?" Veronica asks. "Something you wrote?"

"It's rough," Archie says.

"No, it's great," Betty says.

"It's awesome," I add, and Betty nods in agreement.

"It's incredible, actually, the little snippet I heard. Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with that?"

I see Kevin look at Betty and Betty looks a little annoyed. Oh yeah, I forgot that she likes Archie.

"Yeah, that's the plan," Archie says. Cheryl is walking over to us. "Hey, I should go. I've got that meeting with Grundy and then football tryouts, so."

"You play football, too? What don't you do?" I ask.

He smirks and leaves.

"Before you ask, no she has not invited him to the dance yet..." Kevin says.

"Not yet, and don't talk about Archie," Betty says quickly before Cheryl can come over.

"(Y/N) (L/N). I'd heard whisperings. I'm Cheryl Blossom, may I sit? Betty, would you mind?" Betty moves and Cheryl sits down. "So, what are you four hens gossiping about? Archie's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysalis of puberty?"

Betty looks at us and nods her head, no.

"Extracurriculars. Weatherbee wants me to sign up for a few." I say.

"Cheerleading. You must. I am senior captain of the River Vixens." Cheryl says. She fails to pull her hair on the left side of her shoulder.

"Is cheerleading still a thing?" Kevin asks.

Cheryl looks over at him, "Is being the Gay Best Friend still a thing?"

Kevin looks at Betty. They give each their that, "okay then" look.

"Some people say it's retro, I say it's eternal and iconic."

"Thanks, Cheryl but, cheerleading is not my thing," I say.

"At Spence, I sat at the top of Elites' pyramid. I'm in." Veronica says and looks over to Betty. "Betty, you're trying out, too." Betty looks at her, and then at Cheryl.

"Of course, anyone's welcome to try out, but Betty's already got so much on her plate right now," Cheryl and Betty both look at Betty's plate of food, and then Cheryl looks back at Veronica. "and being a Vixen is kind of a full-time thing. But open to all!" She stands up, "Follow me on Twitter and I'll do the same. My handle is @cherylbombshell," she turns and walks away.

"Okay, go ahead and hate on cheerleading, but if Hipster Prince Harry-" Veronica starts.

"I'd love to be a cheerleader," she pauses for a second, "it would look great on my college applications. But, last year when I tried out, Cheryl said I was too fat."

"Ouch," I say.

"Yeah," Betty says.

"Too season 5 Betty Draper. It was a great line." Kevin adds, "But, not at all true."

"Well, you're a total smoke show now. I mean it. As hot and as smart as you are, you should be Queen Bey of this drab hive."

"Whatever that is," I say.

Veronica laughs a little. "Look, if you want to be a River Vixen, I'll help you prep. I have moves."

Betty thinks for a second, "Okay, you know what? Show me your moves.."

"Okay." They both get up leaving Kevin and me behind.

"Well then," I say.

"No cheerleading for you?" Kevin asks.

I scoff, "Hell no."

"But why not?"

"Many, many reasons. Number 1," I hold up one finger, "I hate dancing. Number 2," I put up a second finger, "I hate being told what to do. And number 3," I hold up a third finger, "I hate attention." I shrug.

"The three hates of (Y/N) (L/N). I will remember those." Kevin laughs and I do, too.

~

I walk to my next class and sit down. Jughead comes in and sits next to me.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey." He replies. "So, about this dance thing..."

"If you're asking me, the answer is no. I hate dances." I laugh.

"Okay good because I do too." He loosens up a little bit. "Do you wanna do something together instead? I heard that Betty and Veronica are going together with Archie as a three-some."

"Wow. Okay, yeah sure. Wanna just meet at Pop's?"

"Sounds good to me." He says.

"Cool."

-------------------------
Word Count: 990