Chapter 12

*Your POV*
I get a text from Betty.

Betty🙃:
Hey, come meet me in the Blue and Gold office, I found something out about the Sticky Maple that Veronica got.

To Betty🙃:
On my way.

I drive back to the school, and walk to the classroom. When I get in, I see a lot of girls including Betty and Veronica all sitting around each other.

"This story is bigger than we thought. I started asking around, to see if what happened to V, happened to anyone else, and if anyone would go on record." Betty says.

"I will, 100%." A girl sitting next to her says.

"Okay." Betty says. "It's five guys on the football team. Chuck and his posse. Ethel was about to tell us."

"One day last year, Chuck and I talked in the library for ten minutes. I helped him with a Pre-Cal problem, and nothing happened." She pauses and looks up at me, and then back down. "But the next day, he..he started telling people that I let him do stuff to me. Like, sex stuff." I nod my head, "And then he..or one of his goons, wrote, 'Sloppy Seconds' on my locker."

"Yes, yes, we've all heard your tragic origin story." I hear someone say behind me.

"I'm so, so sorry, Ethel, that's horrible." Betty says. I turn around and Cheryl's at the door.

"Not as horrible as being a suspect in your own brother's torture-murder case, but we all have our crosses. In the meantime, River Vixen practice starts in five minutes, sluts, so."

"They're ruining our lives, and to them it's just a game." Ethel says, "They keep score and-"

"Wait, what do you mean, keep score?" I ask, raising my eyebrow.

"Each conquest earns them points. They keep track in some secret playbook."

I laugh. And turn my head.

"Okay, we have to talk to Weatherbee." Betty says.

"I already tried. Weatherbee said that he didn't find anything." Ethel says.

"Okay, we need undeniable proof."

"Proof of what, Nancy Drew?" Cheryl says, and I turn around, "That boys will be boys? And that playbook reeks of suburban legend."

"How would you know, Cheryl?" I ask.

"Because, Frida Shallow," I roll my eyes, "before he died, my brother was co-captain of the football team with Chuck, and Jason never mentioned it," well duh, "and he never would've allowed it."

"Okay well, I never met your brother," I shrug, "but we're not lying about what happened to Veronica, and Ethel's not lying." I look back at her, and she slightly smiles, "And proof or no proof," I step closer to Cheryl, "book or no book, I will go beneath the earth and back to find a punishment for these privileged, horrible criminals." Cheryl crosses her arms, "You wanna get in that back draft, Blossom?" I scoff, "Call me," I look back at them, "or any of these beautiful, young, strong, intelligent women," I look back at her, "'slut.' One. More. Time."

She glances down, and then back up at me, and I glare at her, and she takes a step back. "Whatever." She walks out the door.

I just stand there, and kind of reflect on what I just did. And then I hear clapping behind me. I turn around, smile, and bow, quickly, and then laugh.

~

Jughead and I are both sitting at Pop's, and I see the scout from earlier walk in with his dad. I look up at him, and nudge Jughead's arm, and he looks up from his computer. He sees them, too.

"Okay so, we talk to him, right?" I ask.

"Yep. Once his dad leaves for whatever reason. We just have to be patient." He replies.

"Right." I say. I look back down at my computer, but I glance at them every now and then. They've ordered their milkshakes, and they're just sitting and talking.

"Right. Yeah, I'm gonna take care of the check, all right." His dad says and gets up. "Save me some."

Jug and I both look at each other and then get out of the booth. I walk over and stand by the table while Jug gets in the seat and sits weirdly. He takes the cherry off of his sundae and eats it.

The scout puts his hands up and leans back in his seat, "What the hell, man?"

"Jug! You can't take his food." I laugh a little and he holds his in, but I can tell he wants to let it out.

"I saw the way you looked at me. During Grizzly training." He takes his whole sundae and grabs a spoon and starts eating it. My God.

"You're hiding something." I add.

"It's Scoutmaster Doiley. He's lying." He says.

"About what?" Jug asks.

"The gunshot. It was him. He was teaching us how to shoot targets." He tells us.

"Dilton Doiley, shot the gun on July 4th?" I asked.

"He's a hardcore survivalist. He says if we don't protect ourselves, no one will."

"He's got a point, there." I tilt my head and look at the counter, and then at Jug. He looks at me, and then at the scout.

"Thank you for your time, we'll leave now." He pushes his sundae back at him, and gets out of his seat. I walk back to the booth and he follows me. We both sit down.

"Did you really have to take his sundae?" I smile.

He laughs, "Gotta get the answer out of him somehow."

-------------------------
Word Count: 920