Chapter 53

*Your POV*
I take the last box and set it down in my apartment. "Good to be back." I say to myself. I look around for my "clothes" box, and I open it to see my one and only dress. It's blue with long sleeves, but it's not a long dress. It, used to be my mom's...I take it out of it's box, and hold it up. I sigh. I hate dresses, which is why I only have one.

I hang it up on my closet for later. I think I'm just gonna wear some comfortable shoes with it because, I honestly don't really care. It's just a dance.

I go back to unpacking just a little bit, and a couple hours go by. I'm finally done and check my watch. It's 5:30, which means I have a half hour to get ready for dinner at Betty's. I still can't believe that her mom is doing this. I mean, that's what I think. I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't know. Why else would she have a dinner and invite his dad?

I go over to my dress, and put it on. I look in the mirror, and I don't even recognize myself. I haven't put a dress on in years...I put my hair in a side braid, and just put on some sneakers. I look at myself in the mirror one more time.

(Just something like that, except sneakers instead of those😂)

(OR YOU CAN CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU WANT but i just liked this one)

I hear knock at my door. I open it and it's Jug.

He takes one look at me, and blushes. "Wow, (Y/N), you..look amazing."

I feel myself blush... "This is the only time you're seeing me in a dress." I say, and grab my phone.

"What about on our wedding day?" he says.

I laugh and blush. "Let's just go." I say.

We both get into his dad's car and drive to Betty's house. I knock on the door and Alice answers. "Come on in." she says.

We walk in, and Betty and FP are already sitting at the table. "Wow, (Y/N), you look great." Betty says. "Never seen you in a dress before."

"Me either." Jug adds. I just smile and we sit down at the table.

"Thanks. So do you." I say. She's wearing a purple short dress with her hair pinned to the side.

Jug sits next to his dad, across from Betty, and I sit next to her.

"Well, you guys can just start eating." Alice says, smiling.

"Alright." I say. I take a bite, and so does Jug.

"This is delicious, Mrs. C." Jug says.

"Sure is, Alice." FP says. "Been a long time since I ate something that didn't come in a combo meal or a snack pack." He laughs.

Jug looks at him and chuckles. Alice sits down. "So, FP.."

"Mmm."

"Betty says that you're working for Fred Andrews, yes?"

"Yep."

"Mhm. And how do you balance that with all of your other responsibilities?"

Jug looks at her, kind of confused. "You mean like being a father?" FP asks.

"And being a part of the southside community."

"Mom." Betty says.

"You can say 'Southside Serpent,' Alice. I'm not ashamed. And it's not just me, there's a bunch of us working on Fred's site."

"So, I'm just curious, but how did you make your money before that?" she should like, just stop asking questions.

"Scraped by, odd jobs."

She looks at Jug, "I know that you worked in the drive-in before it was closed, did you find work there, too FP?"

"Dad?"

"Well, I hung out a bit. What can I say I'm a movie buff." He earns a laugh from Alice and Betty.

"So, tell me. Were you upset when Hiram Lodge bought the drive-in land?"

No one talks for a second, "Stuff happens." He finally says.

"Let me rephrase that question," she says, quickly. "were you surprised?"

There's silence, again. The doorbell rings and Betty quickly gets up. "I'll get it." She walks over to the door. "Hey."

"Hi." Someone says.

"Right this way." She walks in with, her dad.

"I thought you said she wanted me to be back." He says. Jug and FP stand up.

"She does. I mean, it is homecoming. And, our families should be, coming together. Right mom?" They all sit down again. Her dad sits at the end of the table.

"I'm hoping that maybe you have some vacancies down at Sunnyside. You see, I've been sleeping in my own office down at the paper, and it's just getting a little chilly at night." He looks at Alice.

"Well, I bet your office beats the trailer park." FP says.

He laughs, "Oh, I wouldn't be so sure. You see, Alice here, she's been redecorating the Register. And you know the other day, she threw a brick through the window."

"Is that so?" FP laughs.

"Keep talking, Hal, and the next thing I throw a brick at won't be a window." She takes a sip of her wine.

"Remember our homecoming, Alice?" FP starts. "Hal? Back in the day? Castles in the clouds, your mom ever tell you about that night?"

"Just that my mom and dad were king and queen." Betty says.

"Yeah they were, of hell." I hold in my laugh.

"Dad, please." Jug starts.

"No, it's a fun story, I promise. Fred and me were all set to play at the dance. And when I was backstage, dropping off some gear I heard yelling." He looks over at Betty. "It was your mom and dad. They were fighting about," he pauses, "I don't know. But it sounded like life or death to me."

"Shut up, FP." Alice says.

"Happy to oblige if you are. I don't care, what you think of me Alice." Preach. "But don't' jerk me around. Not in front of my son." He motions to Jughead.

"You know, this was a nice idea, Mom, but, we're gonna be late for the dance. Is it okay if we skip peach pie?" Betty says and stands up. Jug and I both do the same.

"Yeah, we should head out." I say.

"Do you guys need a ride?" FP asks.

I shrug and look at Jughead. "Sure." He says.

"Alright then." FP stands up and we all walk outside to his car. It starts sprinkling a little bit. We both get in, and he drives to the dance. He pulls up to the school, and we both get out. "You be a gentlemen tonight, okay?" he tells Jug.

"He always is, Mr. Jones." I say, opening an umbrella.

"Hey, (Y/N), do you mind giving us just a minute?" Jug asks.

"No, of course. Take your time. I'll just be," I make a clicking sound with my tongue and tilt my head towards the doorway.

"Okay. Thanks." He gets back in the car and I walk up the stairs. Lots of people pass me, in dresses, suits, and dates.

-------------------------
Word Count: 1167