Chapter 59

*Jughead's POV*
(school's over and they're at Arch's house now)
I hear the door open and Archie coming in. I slowly walk down the stairs.

"That was Weatherbee." I hear Fred say. "He's worried about Jug's personal safety. After what happened with Cheryl, he's worried about the other students' reaction to it. And he says that he thinks that Jug should stay the semester at home." I stop walking, and just listen to their conversation...

"Jughead's getting kicked out because Cheryl pummeled him. How is that fair?" Archie asks.

"It's not."

"Well, can we call, I don't know, the school board or something?" he asks.

"Son, FP may spend, decades, in prison, potentially the rest of his life. we have to think of a long-term solution for Jug." I sit down, and lean on my knees.

"But we are the long-term solution, Dad."

"That's not how it works, okay? I'm not his legal guardian!"

"Well good thing Mom's a lawyer."

"Archie. My priority is to keep you safe."

"Keep me safe from who, Jughead? Are you kidding me, Dad??" he scoffs.

"No, from whatever trouble seems to follow the Jones' around wherever they go, whatever they do!" Fed starts, "Hell, maybe you should go to Chicago and live with your mother."

"That's not even something I was considering, Dad. But you know what? Maybe I should."

"Hey, if it'll keep you out of trouble, I'm all for it." I can't take this anymore. I stand up and walk to the door.

"Jug." Archie says.

I slightly turn. "I'm gonna sleep in the garage tonight with Vegas, okay?"

"Jug..."

I nod and close the door, and walk to the garage.

*Betty's POV*
I'm sleeping in bed, and muffled thumping scares me awake. I slowly sit up, and make sure that it was actually real, and then hear it again. I get out of bed, and walk into the hall. I slowly walk downstairs, and see my mom. We both jump, and then sigh.

"Did you hear that?" I ask.

"Shh, get behind me." she holds up a gun.

"Mom, what are you doing with that?"

"Be quiet and be ready to dial 911." She walks downstairs, and I just shake my head and follow her. The noise is getting louder, as we walk down the stairs. I hear papers rustling. I get out my phone. My mom is still holding up the gun. I see someone at a desk, rummaging through papers. My mom cocks the gun, "Don't. Move. Hands where I can see them." The man slowly turns around and puts his hands up, and I realize that it's Dad.

"Don't shoot, Alice." He says.

"Dad!" "Hal!" we both say at the same time, and she puts the gun down. I turn on a light and he sighs. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"Let me explain." He grabs all the papers he had. We walk back upstairs, and he spreads the papers all on the table. Mom and I both look at each other, and then go over to the table. All of Keller's files are spread out. He sits down, and I slowly sit down, too. "These are all Sheriff Keller's files about the Blossom Murder investigation."

"How did you even get these, Dad?" I ask

He sighs, "I broke into his house, the night of the last movie shown at the drive-in, and took them."

"That's, impossible. FP Jones already confessed to that." Mom says.

"Well, I don't know what intention he had of doing that, but it wasn't him. That's, why I'm here. To destroy any evidence that could lead back to me."

"Wait, that doesn't make any sense." I say. "Why would FP confess up to something that he didn't even do?"

"Yeah, well I'm not worried about FP right now. I'm wondering why your father is stealing murder investigation evidence."

"Look, I was worried about the investigation getting back to Polly, and some how to us." He says. "And Keller would figure out the connection of our family to the Blossoms."

"Wait, do you mean about, Great-Grandpappy Cooper being murdered by a Blossom?" I ask.

He looks down, "Betty...Your Great Grandfather wasn't just murdered, by a Blossom." He pauses and looks up, "He was a Blossom."

*Cheryl's POV*
Loud bangs keep repeating on our door in Thornhill. I keep thinking that it's a dream, but then I realize it's not and get up. I slowly walk down the stairs and my mom, dad, and Polly are, too. The banging continues. Dad answers.

"Don't even bother calling the cops, we're not staying. Polly!" Alice Cooper walks in, followed by Betty and her dad.

"What the hell is even going on here, Alice, it's the middle of the night!" Dad says.

"Oh, I'm sorry for disturbing the 'witching hour' of Thornhill."

"Polly, honey are you okay?" her dad asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Betty, what's going on?" Polly asks, and I cross my arms.

"We're here to bring you home, Pol." Betty says.

I go next to her, "She's not leaving us." I grab Polly's arm.

"She chose to live here, remember? With a more mentally stable family." My mom says.

"Oh, I know all about your family, Penelope. And the incest." Alice says.

"What? What incest?" Polly asks.

"Hal's grandfather wasn't just your grandpappy's murder victim." She walks over to my dad. "They were brothers. Which made him a Blossom. Just like Hal."

"Yeah? So what?" Clifford says.

"'So what?' So everything! Starting with FP's confession, that has a couple gaping holes on it." Alice says.

"He's being used by someone with a crazy motive. For example, hiding an incest?" Betty says.

"You were disgusted. By Jason and Polly dating because they were related." Alice says. My eyes widen, and I look over at Polly.

"Nothing could be more purely Blossom than those babies." Mom says.

"Okay what is wrong, with you people, huh?" Hal says.

"Will you just spare us the middle-class mortality?" Dad asks, "It's not like they were brother and sister. They were like, what, third cousins?"

"You think I killed my son?" Mom says.

"That's it. Poly, we're leaving. Right now." Alice says, and walks up the stairs. She grabs Polly's arm and starts walking back down. "Enough of this Doctor Moreau experimentation in breeding and eugenics. It's OVER!" she yells and walks out the door, followed by Betty and Hal.

"You made a grave error, little girl." Mom grabs Betty's arm.

"No, I don't think I did. And I'm not going to stop until I find it." Betty pulls away and walks out the door.

-------------------------
Word Count: 1110