Chapter 69

*Your POV*
"Guys, we have to go!" I hear Veronica say. Jug and I both turn around, and look at her.

"What?" I ask.

"We just have to go, it's Cheryl!"

That name made me stand straight up, and get into my truck. Jug and Veronica get in, and Betty and Archie hop in the back. I start to drive. "Where is she?" I ask.

"Sweetwater River." Veronica says.

"Right." I drive as close as I can to the river. We all get out, and Jug takes my hand. "Cheryl!" I yell.

Everyone else starts yelling, too, as we walk through the snow, searching for her. "Cheryl?!" Archie yells.

"Cheryl!" Veronica yells.

We reach the river. "She's not here." Archie says, panting.

"Over there, oh my God, over there!" Betty says and points to a figure with red hair, smashing the ice.

"Cheryl!" We all yell, and run towards her.

"Cheryl stop! What are you doing!?" Jug yells. We stop when we reach the edge.

Jug keeps running, but Archie pulls him back. "Whoa, Jug, hold on wait."

"The ice. He's right." Jug says.

"Cheryl!" I yell. "Cheryl stop! Please!" she stops, and slowly stands up, and turns around. "Let me go after her." I run out towards her. But when I'm about 10 feet away, she falls into the water, letting her hands up in the air. "NO CHERYL!" I yell. Everyone behind me comes out running. They reach me, "The current has her." I say.

"Spread out! Now!" Jug says, and we all spread out, kicking and moving the snow, looking for where she could be. I get down on my knees, and start moving the snow everywhere, clearing some ice, but she's not there.

"Over here! She's here!" Archie yells. Everyone runs over to him. He punches the ice. It doesn't break.

"Archie, be careful, please!" Veronica says.

"Help!" Jug yells.

He keeps punching the ice, and blood starts to splatter everywhere. "Ah!" he yells in pain, "Gah! Come on!" he's using both of his hands now, and the ice is getting weaker.

He finally punches through the ice, and grabs her. He lays her on the stronger ice, and starts to give her CPR, breathing into her mouth, and pressing on her chest. Jug puts his hand on my back, and I just stare at the scene.

"Help please!" Betty yells.

"It's no use!" I yell.

Archie keeps doing CPR, and when he goes in for mouth to mouth one more time, she spits out water in his face and coughs.

"Oh, thank God!" I say.

Archie picks her up, bridal style, and we all walk back to the shore.

~

I'm sitting with Cheryl in front of the fire place in Veronica's apartment.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Fine." She says.

I sigh, "Everyone says fine, and fine is another word for 'not okay.'" I pause, "Cheryl, why did you do it?" I ask.

She's about to say something, but Veronica comes in with a mug of hot chocolate. She kneels down, "Hey."

Cheryl looks over to her, and takes the mug, "Thanks.." she says.

"No problem." She takes a sip, and I lean back on the couch. "Are you warm enough?" she puts another blanket on her.

"What's she doing here?" Hermione comes in, and all of our eyes shoot over to her.

Veronica gets up, and walks over to her. "She had an accident. She needed help and so I brought her here."

I stand up, "I, can take her to my place if you're uncomfortable with her here, Hermione."

"Fine, Veronica. Let's go. I'm giving you a ride to the Jubilee." Hermione says, ignoring me.

"Already got one with Archie, Lady Macbeth." Veronica snaps. Damn.

I sit back down. "Do you want me to stay, or go?" I ask.

"You should go. I can't keep you here all day." She says, smiling.

I smile, too. "Alright. If that's what you want." I stand up, and she nods. She looks back at the fire and takes another sip of her drink.

-------------------------
Word Count: 678