Chapter 19- Best Friend

Marie's POV

"Hey, Liyah", I said into the phone.

"Hey! You didn't come see me when you got back yesterday. I miss you!" she said.

I smiled. "I didn't think you wanted to see me", I said.

"Of course I do. Why would you think that?"

"I don't know, I guess because of what happened between Shawn and me."

"Oh, well actually I don't really know what happened. But I'm sure whatever you did, you had a good reason for doing it."

I sighed. "Nope."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she asked.

I checked my phone to see what time it was. 6:30.

"Sure", I replied.

"Okay. I'll be over in a few minutes", she said and hung up.

It's been a while since Aaliyah and I just hung out. She's 12, but she's pretty cool. I used to take her shopping sometimes but we haven't done that in a long time. But I wasn't in the shopping mood today.

After a few minutes there was a knock on the door and I answered it.

"Hey!" I yelled pulling Aaliyah into a hug.

She was the same height as me, which was pretty sad because I'm 15.

"I missed you! Probably more than I missed Shawn", she said.

I giggled and let go of her. When we got up to my room, she closed my door and sat on my bed.

"So what happened?"

I sighed and began to tell the story that has me in tears at the end again. I must've told it about 6 or 7 times to different people. You'd think by then I'd be so used to telling it, I'd stop crying. But I don't.

Each time I tell it, it becomes more and more stupid, but upsetting. I said some rude stuff to my boyfriend that I didn't mean to say, then lied to him and then he broke up with me. All the stupid stuff was what I did, and I wish I could go back to 2 weeks ago and fix it.

"I can talk to him if you want me to", Liyah said when I was done telling her the story.

"No thanks. I don't think he'll listen", I said wiping away a tear.

...

I opened my locker, which happened to be a few lockers down from Shawn's. I tried not to make it so obvious that I was staring at him, but he noticed right away. When he saw me he gave a small smile and walked up to me.

He just stood there and looked at me while I took stuff out of my locker.

I tried not to sound rude, but I couldn't help but ask, "Do you need something?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I always walk you to your science class on my way to French."

I smiled. "Oh, yeah. Umm, well let's go", I said.

We usually walk hand in hand to my class and he gives me soft, sweet kiss before going to his French class. But this time we walked down through the building with some distance between us and before he went to his class, he left me with a simple "See ya."

That's all I got. "See ya."

When I walked in, the teacher greeted me with a "Welcome back, Marie" and she assigned me a lab partner for the new experiment we were working on.

She paired me with this guy named Austin. I scoffed quietly to myself when she called our names.

He's such a jerk. He's that kid that all the girls want to date because he's popular. Well he's as popular as a sophomore can be.

Almost all the girls in the grade think he's perfect and some of them in the room were glaring at me murderously. I don't get what was so great about him. He had blonde hair, green eyes, and a cute smile. But he was far from perfect. Shawn's perfect. Not Austin.

I sat down next to him and prepared myself for what stupid words were about to come out of his mouth.

"Hey, babe", he said giving me a perverted smile.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't call me that."

Only Shawn could call me babe. Even though we're not dating, he's still the only one that gets to call me babe.

"Whatever you say, sweetheart", he said smiling again. He knew he was getting on my nerves.

"Don't call me that either."

"Well what can I call you?" he asked.

"You can call me by my actual name", I said sarcastically.

"Which is..."

"Marie, you jackass", I replied.

"Someone's in a bad mood", he said.

I chose to ignore him while I started doing the work on our experiment.

"So, I heard you and Shane broke up", he said.

I know he was purposely trying to get on my nerves.

I looked up at him. "Shawn. And how did you know that, Arthur?"

He rolled his eyes. "It was all over twitter. #Shawnie'sover was trending. So what happened between you two?"

"I would, but your brain just isn't big enough process the situation", I replied sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes again. "Whatever, princess. Could you just work a little faster please?"

"I swear I am this close to punching you. My name is Marie, and if you don't start helping me, I'm going to take your name off this experiment", I said.

"Fine", he replied and started helping me.

After class, I sat with Shawn and his friends at lunch and went to his house to do homework after school together.

Everyday went like this. The same boring routine every single day. Austin acts like a jerk and asks me out in some rude and informal way, I do homework with Shawn, and I even sneak him into my room sometimes, but he sleeps on the floor. I said I didn't wanna be friends with him if we weren't gonna be together, but the truth is I do. It hurts, but I can't stand being away from him at all. He may not be my boyfriend anymore, but he's still my best friend.