Chapter 29: Far from the Land of Fairy Tale

Author's Note:

Yes, the Pirate Song in this story (Saudade) is written by me. You're not going to find it on Youtube. Haha!

I had thousands of different dark emotions playing inside me at that time – each wanted to take me over; each wanted to dominate each other. My heart was suffering from fear and disappointment and I could feel it through the shaking of my hands and trembling of my lips. I wished I wasn't where I was. I wished I could just make myself disappear and escape to somewhere far away from here. I would have run away if not for Captain Rowaen who continuously stared at me which made the situation more uncomfortable.

Captain Rowaen and the Skull agreed to continue their conversation on the upper deck – a place where we could see the vastness of the sea and the powerful pirate ships surrounding the Pirate City. For some, it was breathtakingly beautiful but for me, it was a place to make me feel small and weak. And to make the situation worse, Captain Rowaen insisted to bring me with him. He said that it was to make it obvious for the Skull to see what he really wanted. And how I wished it wasn't what I was thinking; how I wished it wasn't what was going to happen.

"Look at that black ship amidst the other pirate ships. It is so unique and its darkness ignites power. You'll know what it is from a distance and you'll sense the fear while it's getting nearer and nearer to you that you'll have no choice but to prepare for a battle even though it will come in peace."

Captain Rowaen was leaning against the railing as he watched the ships around the grand vessel. He looked so proud of how powerful the Pirate City became and I couldn't but wonder how it started and how it would end. I stayed few steps behind him while the Skull remained silent at the back. I didn't want to turn and glance at him for it would be like looking back on the knife that cut me in half.

"Are you threatened by the Obsidian?"

I didn't know why I asked a question that might taunt him but before I finally realized what I just said, it was already too late to take it back. He looked at me and I could see darkness in his ocean blue eyes.

"And why would I be threatened by the Obsidian? Can't you see what I was trying to make you see? Yes, the Obsidian is a powerful pirate ship but it can never be matched to the power of the Pirate City. What I mean is that, if I choose to ruin it, then it will be a shipwreck in just a little time. Right, Skull?" He said and glanced at our back.

I remained to look ahead. I didn't want to acknowledge his presence. I wanted to pretend that he wasn't with us.

"There's a big difference between the Obsidian and the Pirate City. Is that what you're trying to say, Captain Rowaen?" The Skull replied.

I knew I just said that I didn't want to look at him but the sound of his voice made me want to turn around and hurry to his side. I clenched my fist and stopped myself. He said he would protect me but instead of doing what he promised, he made me feel fragile and weak. And even though we were facing Captain Rowaen together, I still felt that I should protect myself on my own.