Alone With You

It's seven-forty-five and dark, the air taking on a crispness that makes everything go silent in Florida

It's seven-forty-five and dark, the air taking on a crispness that makes everything go silent in Florida. Rafa knocks on my door, probably thinking that arriving early will throw me off-balance, that I won't be ready. But tonight, I am.

I fling open the door and grin at the look of surprise on his face.

"Well," he says, walking in and glancing down at my two suitcases. "I think this is a first, you being ready on time. Are you really all packed, or is there more?"

"I am, and there's not," I reply triumphantly.

He stuffs his hands in his jeans pocket and inhales big. I suspect he's trying to control his urge to touch me. I'd purposefully put on my most formal, sexy dress: a black strapless number that wraps me tight. It's not too risqué—I've never been one to dress too provocatively outside of the bedroom and prefer leggings and long tunics—but it does show off my curves if I do say so. I'm also wearing the black heels again and am hoping those will come off first because my feet are beginning to resemble ground hamburger.

Although, if I know Rafael, he'll want me to keep them on.

I look him up and down and scowl. "You told me to dress up, and you're in jeans, a T-shirt, and a leather jacket."

"I changed my mind about going out to dinner. We'll eat at my place."

"You cooked? In a hotel? How?"

"I've got a few other surprises for you."

He grabs my hand and draws me close, sending my heart rate spiking. His nose presses against my neck.

"Tell me the surprises," I demand, pretending to squirm away. He pulls me closer, and I hum and buzz like a bee finding a flower for the first time.

"You'll see." He groans. "You're wearing the perfume I love. What's it called? Cake? Sugar? Pie? I haven't smelled it in years. I want you to wear this from now on. I might have to buy you an extra-big bottle so you don't run out." His nose is now next to my cheek, and I grin.

"It's called 'Let Them Eat Cake.' I'm glad you still like it. I'm going to change into something more practical if we're not going out." Here I give a little snort. Why should I torture my feet when he's totally comfy in sneakers?

He hugs me even tighter, and his hands drift to cup my ass. "No. Don't change. I want to look at you for a few hours in that dress before I take it off."

I sigh dramatically, but inside I'm thrilled. Sometimes our push and pull frustrated me, but tonight, it's turning me on. I point to my bags. "Fine. There's my stuff. I'm going to sit in the car."

I hand him my keys and stalk out of the house. It's finally turned cold for Florida, and I shiver as I settle in the passenger seat of his Tesla sports car. The car is fast, expensive, and electric. Kind of like Rafa himself.