12: Family or Not

NATSU'S OFFICE

Lucy held Lucas in her arms.

She was sitting on the leather chair by the desk, looking down at her baby boy's face.

He was sleeping peacefully in his mother's embrace.

That day, Natsu called for the presence of some of the members of the Family. The ones he trusted enough to inform about the threat.

Among them were Laxus, Gray, Gajeel, Lyon and Rogue. Of course his brother, Zeref, was there as well.

When they were told about the letter, there was only one thing they thought in common:

Whoever this person was, he or she must be hating this life so much and couldn't wait to get to the next one. You know, the Afterlife.

"Keep this matter from the others," Natsu said seriously as he leaned against the desk table, eyeing his people in front of him, "I don't want anyone being suspicious of one another."

They all understood what he meant. If word got out about a traitor being among them, things could get worse and might lead to conflicts. Exactly what the traitor would want.

"Who would make an enemy out of you?" Gajeel started as he shook his head in disbelief, "I mean come on, who would want to mess with the Father of the Japanese mafia?"

"Exactly. Nobody is smart enough to even think about it," Gray added.

"It has to be him."

They all turned to Laxus who was standing by the door, arms folded in his chest. The way he spoke, he sounded so sure. And his eyes, no trace of doubt in them.

"Invel," he continued.

Lyon sighed, he was thinking the same thing,

"Well, he has been behaving like an asshole lately. Completely different From the Yura that you did business with before."

"Can't say I don't believe you," Rogue agreed as he nodded.

All of them turned quiet after that.

Each of them thinking of the possibility that it could be the ex-contractor.

Then a quiet voice sounded,

"What if..."

Lucy started, getting all of their attention. Natsu turned to look at her, anticipating what she had to say next.

"...What if it's someone else?"

"I can't seem to find someone gutsy enough inside the compound to threaten the heir," Rogue answered, rubbing his chin as he was in deep thought.

"What about Lisanna?" Lyon proposed, "I'm not trying to say she would do something like this, but... at this point anyone is a suspect."

Now that all of them have given their own thoughts on the matter, Natsu turned to the one who has been keeping quiet the whole time.

"What do you think, brother?"

His eyes now fixed on Zeref who was staring into nothingness.

Whenever he was like this, it could only mean one thing, he was busy putting the pieces together. Getting his mind to work its magic. Natsu knew he had his 'intelligence factory' going on.

"We have not made an enemy with any of the other Families...but..." he started.

The word 'but' only escalated their eagerness to know.

"...what about the Chinese man from before?"

They all went into deep thought for a moment, except for Natsu. Somehow he had the idea that the Chinese had something to do with it.