13: Next Generation

Mirajane's eyes slowly fluttered open.

She couldn't tell for how long she had been sleeping.

But she remembers waking up and seeing Laxus. After that, everything went back to being a blur and into a never ending darkness again.

She slowly sat up from the bed.

She realized she was in one of the Main House's bedrooms.

Gently, she pushed the blanket off her body and let her legs slide to the side of the bed.

"Don't even think about it."

A familiar voice startled her.

Mira turned to the one who spoke.

He was sitting at the corner near the window, a newspaper at hand as he stared at her. Laxus.

"You shouldn't be out of bed yet," he stood up and walked to her, "Lie down."

"Laxus," Mira smiled at him, the natural smile that was her trademark, "I'm fine now."

He looked at every part if her, as if inspecting if she was indeed good to go.

Her face didn't look so dull anymore, the glowing complexion came back to her. Her once pale lips and lifeless eyes looked very much...alive now. She was healthy again.
Both physically and emotionally.

And her smile, that sweet smile she had made it more reassuring.

Laxus sat next to her on the bed.

"If only I..." he started.

But as soon as the words left his mouth, he changed his mind. He realized it would be best if he didn't bring the incident up again.

"Anyway, how was Gin when I was away?" he asked with the usual tone of his voice. Changing the topic right away.

"He was being a good boy the entire time," she answered, "Especially if Diva happened to be around."

Laxus chuckled.

"If I'm not mistaken, I think our boy might be having a little liking towards her" he joked.

This made her laugh. And it made him glad.

"Oh I wonder," she placed a finger under her chin, "Maybe they might make a good ship when they grow older."

And there she was again.

Her and her fantasies. But the thing is, her shippings actually do sail. As long as it's coming from her, there's that ninety percent possibility that these 'ships' become a reality.

Laxus just sighed. His wife was making a ship out of three year-olds already. Weird. Well at least this means she was back to being herself again.

"Speaking of Gin, where is he?" Mirajane asked.

.

.

COMPOUND'S FOUNTAIN GARDEN

Diva was playing with the water. Soaking her tiny hands with it and sprinkling the drops on Gin.

The boy didn't complain. He let her play and have her fun. She was laughing, her face as bright as the sun. And he just stood there, looking at her. He would smile from time to time.

"Diva, don't do that," Mavis who was there as well, lightly scolded her daughter, "Gin is drizzling already."

Even Diva's pitch black hair was wet as well.

"Sorry, Gin," she apologized sweetly.

The boy just looked away and answered,

"It's nothing."

A few feet away, Zeref and Natsu were watching. Both sitting on a bronze bench.

"Do you have that feeling that maybe there's some kind of spark going on with Gin and Diva?"

Zeref turned to Natsu with an innocently curious face. Sometimes he just has these unusual thoughts.

"Who knows?"  the Don answered with a smirk, "They are the Family's next generation after all. So, why not?"

His attention went to Lucas.

He was sitting on the grass just near them, having his own fun with his coloring book.

"I suppose you could say that," the older one agreed, "By the way, where is Lucy?"

"On the telephone since earlier this morning," Natsu answered with a sigh, "She's been calling Rakheid to help with the arrangements for Lucas' birthday."

Zeref hummed in understanding,

"You know, our people can handle that. There's nothing we can't do."

"That's what I told her," Natsu replied, "But she's the Lady. I'll just let her do as she please."

Then a sudden presence came into the picture. Natsu sensed it.

He turned his head to see who it was.

It was Invel. The man had a smile on his face as he approached them.

"Well, it has been a while since I have seen the Dragneel brothers out under the sun together," he spoke.

"Of course, you weren't here for a long time after all," Zeref answered dryly.

After that, he stood up and walked towards the fountain where his wife and child was.

When he heard about what Invel did to Mira, his whole impression towards the man changed. He started seeing him in a different angle of the light. And it was in the dark side.

Zeref had no problem back when he was still Natsu's contract-killer. But the moment the contract was over and he left the Family, that was when he considered Invel as a complete outsider. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Why do I have the feeling he hates me?" Invel chuckled.

"Almost everyone in the Family hates you," Natsu said straight forwardly as he stood up.

Natsu wasn't taking sides.

It's just in his nature to be bluntly honest with anyone.  Even if words came out to be too harsh, he didn't give a damn. Because it was the truth.

"I'm guessing because of the Strauss thing," Invel murmured.

Natsu didn't say anything and just stared at his boy.

Invel followed his gaze.

"Turning four already huh?" Invel looked at the Lucas but his question was directed to Natsu.

Well, he wasn't really expecting to get an answer.

He then reached for the pocket beneath his indigo colored blazer.

He pulled out a candy.

A lollipop to be precise.

The same kind he always gives Lucas when he has the chance.

"Look what I have for you, Lucas." Invel said sweetly as he stretched out his hand towards the boy.

But before Lucas noticed this gesture, Natsu casually took the candy from the man's hand.

"This is the same as the one you gave him before," Natsu said, his eyes never leaving the purple candy.

"Yes. It's just a product from England. Nothing special," he answered a little too quickly,

"Well, I should be taking my leave now. I know you and the heir are having some quality time together."

Invel gave a smile as he bowed his head before walking away.

Natsu stared at him as he left, placing the candy inside the pocket of his black trousers.

Maybe that lollipop might be of use in the future.

.

.