The Long Game - II

Continue from The Long Game - I

---

Lily looked around the room completely confused of what she was witnessing. Seven people, one of them being the light skinned woman she saw talking to The Doctor and Rose, sat an octagon-shaped desk with a chair in the middle connected to wires.

"Now, everybody, behave." A dark skinned woman announced. "We have a management inspection." she turned to the Doctor and Rose. "How do you want it, by the book?"

"Right from scratch. Thanks." The Doctor winked at a very confused Lily.

"Okay." She replied and turned back around to the group sitting around her. "So, ladies, gentlemen, multi-sex, undecided or robot, my name is Cathica Santini Khadeni." she looked over her shoulder. "That's Cathica with a C, in case you want to write to Floor 500 praising me, and please do." Rose smiled and gave her a nod. "Now, please feel free to ask any questions. The process of news gathering must be open, honest, and beyond bias. That's company policy."

"Actually it's the law." A light skinned woman interrupted.

"Yes. Thank you Suki." Cathica snapped at her then took a seat in the chair. "Okay, keep it calm. Don't show off for the guests. Here we go. And engage safety."

Suki and the other six place their hands on the palm prints on the table. Lights clicked on illuminating the room in light. With a click of her fingers doors opened up on Cathica forehead displaying her brain. Lily and Rose were disgusted, Adam fascinated and the Doctor unfazed.

"And three . . two," Cathica counted down. "And . . spike."

A beam of light shot through the door into her head. The Doctor began walking around intrigued. "Compressed information, streaming into her." He began to explain everything. "Reports from every city, every country, every planet, and they all get packaged inside her head. She becomes part of the software. Her brain is the computer."

"If it all goes through her, she must be a genius." Lily murmured.

"Nah, she wouldn't remember any of it." That caught Adam's attention. "There's too much. Her head would blow up. The brain's the processor. As soon as it closes, she forgets."

"So, what about all these people round the edge?" Rose asked.

"They've all got tiny little chips in their head, connecting them to her and they transmit six hundred channels. Every single fact in the Empire beams out of this place. Now that's what I call power."

Lily spotted Adam looking like he was about to get sick. "Do you wanna get out?"

"No." he gave her a forced smile. "No, this technology, it's amazing."

"This technology is wrong." The Doctor corrected.

"Trouble?" Lily sent him a smirk.

"Oh, yeah." He gave her one in return.

When Suki pulled away suddenly, the information beam began to shut down. Cathica sat up while the portal closed. "Come off it, Suki. I wasn't even halfway!" She whined. "What was that for?"

"Sorry." Suki apologized. "It must've been a glitch."

"Oh."