The Long Game - III

Continue from The Long Game - II

---

"Something up there is generating tons and tons of heat." The Doctor announced.

Lily nodded and stood, patting a hand on the Doctor's back. "Well, I don't know about you, but I feel like I'm missing out on a party. It's all going on upstairs. Fancy a trip?"

"You can!" Cathica protested. "You need a key."

"Keys are just codes." The Doctor told her, continuing using his sonic. "and I've got the codes right here. Here we go. Override . . two one five point nine."

Cathicas jaw dropped seeing the code popped up on the screen. "How come it's given you the codes?"

"Someone up there likes us." Lily smiled, looking up at the ceiling.

"Come on." Lily told Cathica as the lift opened. "Come with us?"

"No way!"

Lily went to reply but was stopped by the Doctor pulling her in after Rose. "Bye!"

"Well . . don't mention my name!" Cathica called out as the doors shut. "When you get in trouble, just don't involve me!"

-

"So . ." The Doctor stood by Lily, Rose behind the two. "That's her gone. Adam's given up . . you're back at my side like you should be."

"Yep." She grabbed his hand, giving it a light squeeze.

"Still can't believe he had the audacity to call you Red." The Doctors frown made Lily raise an eyebrow in thought. "Only I can call you Red."

"It didn't mean anything to me. Besides . ." She pulled him closer to her side. "Only I can call you Doc."

The Doctor laughed. "That's right! Doc and Red . . protecting the Universe!"

"Doc!" She bumped his shoulder. "What about Rose."

They both looked over their shoulders to see their friend wearing a grin ear to ear. "Oh . . No!" She giggled. "It's fine! Please continue being cute. I'll just be standing here . . fangirling."

-

Lily was the first out of the lift, looking around in disappointment. "It's weird. I knew it wouldn't be covered in gold but secretly I was hoping it would be."

"The walls are not made of gold." He confirmed, stepping out before Rose. "You two should go back downstairs."

Lily looked over at Rose, the same idea in their minds. "Oh well." Lily spoke for the both of them.

Walking further, they emerged in what seems to be a control room. Lily's heart dropped when she saw Suki, frozen, typing on a computer along with a group of people. "Suki!" She rushed over to her, kneeling down to her eye level. "Suki! Hello? Can you hear me?"

"I started without you." Someone spoke. Lily stood facing a pale, white-haired man. "This is fascinating. Satellite Five contains every piece of information within the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire. Birth certificates, shopping habits, bank statements, but you three . . you don't exist. Not a trace. No birth, no job . . not the slightest kiss. How can you walk through the world and not leave a single footprint?"

Lily, being the protective older sister, stood slightly infront of Rose. "What have you done to Suki?"

"She's dead, Lily." The Doctor softly spoke.

"She's working!" Rose took her sister's side.

"They've all got chips in their head, and the chips keep going, like puppets." The Doctor mused, looking over the group of "zombies."

"Oh! You're full of information." The man said gleefully. "But it's only fair we get some information back, because apparently, you're no one. It's so rare not to know something. Who are you?"

"It doesn't matter cause we're off." The Doctor grabbed Rose's arm, pulling her back. "Nice to meet you. Come along, girls."

A tight grip stopped Lily from moving. Suki held onto her as two other zombies held back the Doctor and Rose.

"Tell me who you are!" The man demanded.

"Since that information's keeping us alive, I'm hardly going to say, am I?" The Doctor retorted.

"Well, perhaps my Editor in Chief can convince you otherwise." The Editor-a name Lily gave him-spoke.

"And who's that?"

"It may interest you to know that this is not the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire. In fact, it's not actually human at all. It's merely a place where humans happen to live." There a growl from above. The Editor nodded. "Yeah. Yeah, sorry. It's a place where humans are allowed to live by kind permission of my client."

Lily's eyes looked upward, almost gagging at the sight of the hanging blob. "What is that?"

"You mean that thing's in charge of Satellite Five?" Rose asked.

"That thing, as you put it, is in charge of the human race." The Editor nodded. "For almost a hundred years, mankind has been shaped and guided, his knowledge and ambition strictly controlled by it's broadcast news, edited by my superior, your master, and humanity's guiding light, the mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe. I call him Max."

"Oh my God." Was all Lily could say.

All three of them tried to struggle as the zombies placed them in manacles side by side, The Doctor in the middle. "Create a climate of fear . ." The Editor circled them. "and it's easy to keep the borders closed. It's just a matter of emphasis. The right word in the right broadcast repeated often enough can destabilize an economy, invent an enemy, change a vote."

"So all the people on Earth are like slaves?" Rose asked, the Editor now infront of them.

"Well, now, there's an interesting point. Is a slave a slave if he doesn't know he's enslaved?"

"Yes." Lily hissed at him.

"Oh?" The Editor turned towards her inches from her face. "I was hoping for a philosophical debate. Is that all I'm going to get? Yes?"

"Yes." She repeated, glaring at him.

"Hey!" The Doctor growled at him. "Get away from her."

The Editor frowned. "You're no fun." Taking one last look at Lily he then walked away.

"Let me out of these manacles." He suggested with anger. "You'll find out how much fun I am."

"Oh, he's tough, isn't he?" The Editor laughed to Rose. "But, come on. Isn't it a great system? You've got to admire it, just a little bit."

"You can't hide something on this scale." Rose said. "Somebody must have noticed."

──── {⋅. .⋅} ────

Please leave your wonderful comments below and don't forget to vote :)

- KleeAlise11