Father's Day - V (Final)

Continue from Father's Day - IV

---

Lily sat on the front pew alone, key in hand, trying to come up with a plan. She was devastated at everything she's learned in that last few minutes. With the Doctor and Rose gone she didn't know what to do other than listen to the creatures try to come in.

"The Doctor really cared about you." Pete stood in front of her, hands in pockets. "He didn't want you to go through it again, not if there was another way. Now there isn't."

"What are you talking about?" Lily frowned.

"The car that should have killed me, love. It's here. The Doctor worked it out way back, but he, er, he tried to protect me. Still, he's not in charge anymore. I am."

"But-" Lily stood up and chocked back a sob. "You can't."

"Who am I, love?" Pete asked quietly, cubbing her chin in his hand.

"My daddy." Lily whimpered.

"Jackie, look at her." Pete insisted as the woman walked up. "She's ours."

Jackie looked at her, really looked at her, and softened, "Oh, of course." She whispered and finally hugged Lily.

"I'm meant to be dead, Jackie." Pete said bluntly. "You're going to get rid of me at last."

"Don't say that!" Jackie shouted.

"For once in your life, trust me." Pete cupped her cheek. "It's got be done. You've got to survive, because you've got to bring up our daughters." He turned to Lily. "I never read you those bedtime stories. I never took you on those picnics. Other than dancing in the living room I was never really there for you."

"You would have been." Lily forced out a small smile.

"But I can do this for you." Pete put his hands on her shoulders. "I can be a proper dad to you now."

"It's not fair." Lily whispered, tears in eye. She was lucky she wore waterproof mascara.

"I've had all these extra hours. No one else in the world has ever had that. And on top of that, I got to see you. And you're beautiful. How lucky am I, eh?" He chuckled. "So, come on, do as your dad says. You going to be there for me, love?" Lily nodded intensely, and Pete hugged her tightly. "Thanks for saving me." he told her, kissed her head, and let her go. He gave Jackie one last kiss, took his vase and walked out of the church.

Lily ran out after him. She watched as Pete ran into the road; the beige car coming towards at a high speed. Unable to watch, Lily looked away. She heard a thump, the vase break and then started to cry again.

Lily felt a comforting hand on her back. She knew who it was without even looking up. "Go to him." The Doctor told her quietly. "Quick."

Lily didn't hesitated this time. When she made it to Pete she fell down on the concrete beside him, lifting his head to rest on her lap. "Hey dad." She spoke. "It's going to be alright."

Pete then smiled, and rubbed her cheek, before letting out his last breath. "Goodbye . . my Cinderella."

Peter Alan Tyler, my DAD. The most wonderful man in the world. Died the 7th of November, 1987.

-

Rose sat on the railing near the console, scrolling on her phone, not looking up when she heard the doors open and close.

"Hey guys. How'd it go-Lily?" He voice was filled with worry when she finally looked up to see a distraught Lily, looking like she was dead inside.

"What happened?" Rose asked concerned, and hopped off the railing to her sister.

"Long story short?" The Doctor answered. "She knows."

Roses eyes widen. She knew what he meant. "Lily . . I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-"

"I'm not mad at you." Lily said. "I just . . I just need to hear this from Mum."

And so she did.

-

"Mum?"

Startled, Jackie looked up from the couch to see Lily standing the hallway. She was alone. The Doctor and Rose knew she had to do this on her own.

"Lily." Jackie grinned and left the living room to go hug her. "How are you sweetheart? Would you like some tea?" She then realized something was wrong. "Where's The Doctor and Rose?" She reached out for her but Lily backed away. "What's wrong sweetie?"

"I had a long talk with Rose and," She walked past Jackie and took a seat on the couch. "She told me somethings."

Jackie frowned. She knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Oh, Lily I-"

"I don't need your sympathy." Lily spoke while Jackie took a seat beside her. "I just need to know the truth."

Jackie told her exactly what Rose told the Doctor. Lily couldn't believe what she was hearing. Jackie saw she wasn't taking it well so she took her hand. "I know I'm not your biological mother Lily. I know Rose isn't your blood sister but we are still your family." Jackie took her cheek in her hand, wiping away a single tear. "I love you Lily, like you are my own daughter and I would do anything for you."

"Have you found out who my biological parents are?" Lily muttered.

"We tried Lily. I promise you we tried but we always came up with nothing. It was like they didn't exist." Jackie started to tear up as well. "Are you mad?"

"No." Lily shook her head. "Not anymore. I thought about it for a long time and . ." she looked up at her. "DNA doesn't make a family. Love does."

Jackie pulled her into a tight hug, smiling ear to ear, "Oh, I love you Lillian."

"Love you too Mum." Lily giggled.

That wasn't just the day Lily witnessed the death of Pete Tyler. It was also the day she learned the truth. She wasn't related to the Tylers by blood but she was in their hearts. She knew one fact for sure. She may have had her heart ripped out of her chest many times that day but her and her family were stronger than ever and nothing will tear them apart.

---

Authors Note

This chapter honestly made me cry as I typed it out.

Now it's been revealed that Lily isn't related to the Tyler's in any way other than adoption.

Who do y'all believe her parents are?

Are they actual characters or just just a random couple I made up?

And why did they leave her on the Tyler's doorstep?

I'd love to hear your theories! :D

──── {⋅. .⋅} ────

Please leave your wonderful comments below and don't forget to vote :)

- KleeAlise11