The Empty Child - II

Continue from The Empty Child - I

---

The Doctor walked into the house with Rose right behind him. They poked their head into the dining room when they heard kids talking.

"It's got to be the black market!" A boy said. "You couldn't get all this on coupons."

"Ernie, how many times?" The girl with the braids asked with a hint of a smile. "We are guests in this house. We will not make comments of that kind. Wash up."

They all laughed except Ernie who whined. "Oh, Nancy!"

"So that's her name?" Rose whispered, low enough for the children not to hear them.

They both stood in the back of the room completely hidden from the children. There was more discussion, then Nancy held up a plate. "All right, then. One slice each, and I want to see everyone chewing properly."

As it was handed around, The Doctor sat down at the end of the table with Rose on his right. "Thank you, Miss." a boy said.

"Thanks, Miss." Another said.

"Thank you, Miss." A third said.

When the Doctor got it he said cheerfully. "Thanks, Miss!"

The kids all began to panic, and Nancy glared at them both. "It's all right." She told everyone. "Everybody stay where you are!"

"Good here, innit?" The Doctor passes the plate to Rose. She didn't take anything so she placed it back onto the table.

The Doctor smiled down at his plate. "Who's got the salt?"

"Back in your seats," Nancy ordered. "They shouldn't be here, either."

The Doctor and Rose watched as everyone retook there seats. "So, you lot, what's your story?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" The first boy asked.

"You're homeless, right?" Rose asked. "Living rough?"

"Why do you want to know that?" Another boy asked suspiciously. "Are you two coppers?"

The Doctor snorted. "Of course we aren't coppers. What's a copper going to do with you lot anyway? Arrest you for starving?"

"It's 1941, right?" Rose asked the Doctor, who nodded. "You guys shouldn't even be here. You should've been evacuated to the country by now?"

"I was evacuated." A boy confirmed. "Sent me to a farm."

"Why did you come back?" Rose wondered.

"There was a man there-"

"Yeah, same with Ernie." The boy who accused them of being coppers told her. "Two homes ago."

"Shut up," Ernie told him. "It's better on the streets anyway. It's better food."

"Yeah." The copper boy agreed. "Nancy always gets the best food for us."

The Doctor looked at Nancy. "So that's what you do, is it, Nancy?"

"What is?" She asked.