Chapter 14

Dauntless; I was brave enough to choose this faction knowing I could very well end up dead tomorrow. Abnegation; I was selfless enough to choose my loyalty to Danny over my own personal safety. Candor; I knew, in my head and my heart, that I was different.

               Though I could relate to each faction, and loved them for different reasons, I’d chosen on instinct. I’d picked what had felt right, and I didn’t regret it.

                There was no going back now. I would pass initiation, I would become a member, and I would strive to become the emblem of dauntless. Though I respected and cherished both abnegation and candor, that was all it could ever amount to. Like the secrets my mother had hidden, I’d bury my divergence in the deepest recesses of my soul.

                With my shoulders back and my chin up, I calmly walked over to join the other initiates who’d chosen dauntless. I could feel my mother’s intent gaze on the back of my head, but I refused to turn around. I loved her, and I knew she was upset with my decision, but in the end it would all work out. She and Mara would be safe without me around, and I’d do everything possible to abolish any signs of abnegation or candor from my system.

                Starting now, I would no longer be Sage the divergent anomaly.

                I sighed quietly, crossed my arms, and then watched as the rest of the initiates walked up and made their choices. Grace was the last one, and I had to hide the look of shock on my face when I saw her pick dauntless over amity. She joined our group, and my first instinct was to stand between her and Marko, who was already leering at her.

                A silent alarm rang in my head, and I realized that my thought had been a very “stiff” way of viewing things. No, I couldn’t do that. I locked my knees and stayed in place. Dauntless protected the weak, that much was allowed. But if Grace thought she belonged in this faction, she’d have to learn to stick up for herself.

                With the last choice made, it was time to leave. I shared a parting look with my mother, whose eyes were brimming with unshed tears, and Mara, who blew me a kiss and then waved me goodbye. They’d have the option of visiting me in my new faction, about a week and a half from now on Visiting Day, and I hoped they’d consider it.

                The dauntless began to exit the room first, and I could feel a surge of new energy flow through us. Like a ripple effect; someone near the front let out a whoop and began to run, and soon we were all shouting and sprinting up the stairs. The roar of dozens of feet had an oddly soothing effect, and I found myself smiling as I compared it to the sound of heavy rain.

                Danny ran beside me, and the moment we glanced at each other, we burst out laughing; our thoughts one and the same. With a small grunt, we both began to recklessly push past the bodies in front of us, fighting to make our way towards the front of the pack.

                Panting, but grinning nonetheless, Danny and I somehow managed to catch up and meld into the dauntless-born crowd who’d been the first out the door. Ambitiously, I pumped my legs harder, wanting to claim the head spot at the front of the mob.

               As we reached the first floor, we all burst through the exit, completely crowding the surrounding streets and sidewalks. I gulped at the air, and then threw off my blazer that had been restricting my movement. Danny laughed and did the same.

                We kept our lead close to the head of the crowd and as we neared a corner, and I heard the familiar rattle of the train, I knew what we were about to do. I didn’t just want to act dauntless, I wanted to be the embodiment of their ideals.