Chapter Ten: Discoveries and Secrets

Lux

Lux pushed herself to her feet. Sara Elizabeth wiped at the dirt staining her hot pink yoga pants and white crop top while giving Kitty the stink eye. Ruby watched all of them with her arms folded across her chest. She was garbed in her usual attire of chunky black boots, black skirt, and black top. The girl was a walking cliche, but she owned it.

"Anyone going to explain?" Ruby lifted her eyebrow as she spoke, igniting Lux's ire.

"This is public property," Kitty snapped.

"The trail is. We are no longer on the trail."

Kitty rolled her eyes. "However did you deduce that Sherlock? Here's another factoid: you aren't on the trail either."

"God, you're such a freak." Sara Elizabeth had her hands on her hips, and Lux wasn't sure who she'd intended to insult with her words. Probably everyone.

Lux groaned and said, "This is getting us nowhere. Kitty and I are up here for the same reason you two are up here. We're snooping around."

Ruby shrugged and walked past Lux to peer into the ditch. "Guilty. But why did Sara Elizabeth attack Kitty? That seemed a little unnecessary."

"I didn't see who it was before I jumped her. It's just a little creepy up here. But I'm not actually up here to snoop. I was here the day after it opened to the public, and I dropped my ring," Sara Elizabeth said, squatting down and reaching for the shiny object Lux dropped during the chaos.

They were all quiet as the cheerleader dug through the dirt before she straightened with her fist closed around an object. Her features softened with relief, and she walked away without speaking. Ruby and Kitty stepped in front of her, arms crossed like angry sentinels.

"Whatcha got there?"

"None of your damn business," Sara Elizabeth growled, the effect dampened by her Tinkerbell pixie cut and flushed cheeks. "Out of my way."

The gem at Ruby's throat gleamed just like Kitty's emeralds, and a large stick zoomed into the back of Sara Elizabeth's knees, sending her reeling backwards. Her hands opened as she tried to balance herself, and the ring hovered in the air long enough for Kitty to swipe it.

"Aw, hell no. Are you serious?" Kitty shouted.

She stared at the ring as though it were a bug before tossing it to Ruby. The petite girl examined the item, her thin lips twisting with disgust before nodding.

"The stone has magical residue. She's a Trueborn."

Sara Elizabeth's splutters of outrage stopped as she registered their words. "This is some kind of joke right? I cannot be in a Circle with you two." She paused and looked at Lux. "Three?"

Lux took the proffered ring. A heat that was beginning to feel familiar to her began to spread through her palm. The ring was simple, very unlike anything she would've expected from her nemesis. It was a large, unadorned sapphire with a thin silver band, but there was no denying that it was a channeling stone. Memaw was going to get an earful as soon as Lux made it home.

"Well isn't this a shit show," she muttered.

Sara Elizabeth groaned. "At least we can agree on that."

****************************************

Declan

"What are you doing here?"

Declan jumped at the sound of Lux's voice entering the kitchen. He'd been staring at the unappetizing options in the fridge for nearly five minutes and had just settled on trying his hand at this thing the Godelieve women called takeout. He shut the door in haste, aware of the precious cold air he'd allowed to leak out and turned to greet the young witch.