Chapter Eighteen

The Empress wore a phoenix gown, she had a dignified air that would make anyone bow down.

"Huang-er," she called as soon as she saw Feng Huang and the eunuch had left.

"Respectfully, greet the Empress. May the Empress live for a thousand years."

The Empress eyes were beaming with happiness. This was the first time that she had stood face to face with her forgotten son.

"Huang-er?" The Empress called out once again. If she could she would've touched his face to see if it was real.

"This is inappropriate, Your Majesty." Feng Huang spoke referring to her affectionate calling of his name.

Heart broken, she could only looked on as the son she bore and gave away looked at her with cold indifference.

The Empress cleared her throat. "What do you desire as a reward for saving this one's son?"

"Feng Huang almost laughed, no wonder she's the Empress of Emperor Jing Ruan Qi.

"I did what any loyal country man would do, Your Majesty. I would sacrifice my life for His Highness. It's my duty."

Hearing the underlined meaning, there was no way she would miss it.

"So be it, but as a mother to almost her only son I must reward Minister Feng."

The Empress called for an eunuch. "Award Minister Feng with two hundred year old ginseng. This may not be much compared to a life Minister Feng, but I hope you'll accept."

Feng Huang bowed and accepted the box with ginseng. "Thank you, Your Majesty."

The Empress could hear the echoes of Feng Huang footsteps as he left her palace.

"Huang-er."

Feng Huang was livid by the time he returned home to the mansion. He overturned furniture and smashed expensive vases to the floor. In his rage he almost threw the box of ginseng to the wall when Madam Feng rushed into the room.

"Huang-er, Huang-er." Madam Feng called, wrestling the box from his hands. "What's wrong?"

"Huang-er?" Feng Huang laughed to himself. he hugged his mother and when he spoke again, the sadness in his voice tore at Madam Feng's heart.

"Huang-er, she also called me Huang-er."

"Who?"

" The Empress. As if she should call me that."

Shocked, Madam Feng covered her mouth with a hand. Even though they are mother and son. Feng Huang never met the Empress up close.

"Thanking me for saving her only son. Of course I'll save him, he's my little brother."

Madam Feng returned Feng Huang's embrace with much vigor.

"I may not be the one that brought you into this world Feng Huang, but I love you as I would've my own. son."

"Mother?" Feng Huang cried as he hugged the woman to is his mother. "Thank you mother."

The farewell party for the First Prince was a special occasion. For one; it celebrated the Prince's victory over Chawanian soldiers and solidifies the Princes standing in the court of officials eyes. For this party Feng Huang was also the guest of honour for his party in the Prince's victory.

For this party Feng Huang had only taken Cong Wei Yang with him. Due to the presence of many high officials and royalty, he knew it was not wise to take his Second Wife with him.

"Ha, ha, there is my son-in-law." General Cong was proud of the fact that he had recommended Feng Huang as a participant in the First Prince's expedition. Even now a lot of officials had congratulate him on having such a wonderful son-in-law.

"Yang-er." The General called, happy to see that the woman beside Feng Huang was his daughter.

"Are you well Yang-er?"

Cong Wei Yang smiled sweetly at her father, radiating joy because of mixing and mingling with high officials wives. Though some were happy to point out the Second Wife bravery in rescuing her husband.

All she could do was grit her teeth and replied, " I'm happy that the Second Madam helped saved my Lord's husband life." She could see them all snickering at her.

"Yang-er is well Father."

"I'm glad, I'm glad. I can't wait for you and Feng Huang to gift me a grandson."

"Father." Cong Wei Yang called out looking at Feng Huang shyly and blushing.

"Don't worry General, I'm sure you'll have a grandson soon." Feng Huang replied to him downing a glass of wine in one go. "Unless it's not meant to be, Wife and I will gift you a grandchild soon."

The General wanted to frown at the choice of words. Feng Huang was basically saying that unless Cong Wei Yang is not meant to get pregnant others can be.

"It's not to favour one wine too much Feng Huang, it might lead to disaster. Let me introduce to some of the officials, they're dying to meet you."

Feng Huang and Cong Wei Yang followed after the General. Feng Huang knew what the General was warning him about. He'd be a fool not to.