Chapter 5: Wait.. What?

Cassie's POV

"Indi?" I asked.

"What?" She mumbled while her nose was in a maths textbook and she was trying to get her head around Pythagoras' Theorem.

"You know that guy Lucas I told you about?" I asked, still wondering if I should tell her. It's not that I don't trust her, it's just that she can... well, overreact about these things.

"Yeah, how was your date?"

"Well, we bumped into each other before that," I said and then I received a suspicious look from her.

"OK, what happened, is he cheating on you? Did you catch him with someone? Not Melissa, surely," She said in a rush,

"No, you actually met him too," I said finding this quite funny when it's actually quite serious.

She gave me a look as if to say 'What are you on about?'. I looked around the cafeteria checking no-one was listening in.

"Mr Maxwell is Lucas," I whispered waiting for it to sink in, to myself and her.

"WHAT?" She screamed which naturally drew attention to our table in the corner when I really didn't need it. I looked around blushing from the attention and locked eyes Lucas.

He was carrying his lunch on a tray wearing his professional teacher uniform and walking away from the lunch queue but as soon as I locked eyes with him and smiled at him I froze. To put it nicely, he looked awful. His hair was this morning brushed probably but now a mess from stressful hands running through them, his eyes had big bags under them from a sleepless night and his eyes were dull from worry.

"Are you serious? That's illegal, are you crazy? It is so close to college and this happens! Your brother is going to go mental when he finds out, warn me when you tell him cause I don't want to be in a 5 mile radius of him when you do," Indi whispered to me.

This broke the moment between me and Lucas and he sped walked out of the cafeteria without looking back.

I turned back to Indi with that now on my mind. What is wrong with Lucas?

******

Last period of the day is English where I can confront Lucas and ask what's wrong. I got Indi to promise not to tell anyone and I told her all about how we are going to keep it a secret. I also filled her in on what happened yesterday after school in his classroom ("Ooh... saucy," She said).

A few students litter the classroom getting ready for their last class and I walk to my seat. I wonder if I should switch classes as my boyfriend is my teacher. Like Indi said, this is just before college and I need to concentrate in classes and I can't exactly do that Lucas at the front of the class.

The 2nd bell rings indicating that all students should be in classes by now. Lucas still hasn't turned up and the class is sitting on desks thinking it is going to be a free period.

"Hi, you're Cassie, right?"

I turn to my left and James, a guy on the school football team and all round yummy guy, unfortunately for us ladies he doesn't swing this way. Last year he came out the closet and the school gave an assembly to every year showing it's OK to be different and that no one should treat others badly if they are different. I remember seeing James at the back of the assembly hall with a beetroot red face. I think that stopped other people to come out.

"Yeah and your're James?"

"Sure am. So do you think Mr M is going to show up?" He says showing his pearly white teeth. They look even better against his tanned skin.