Chapter Seven

"Are you sure everything's fine?" Chase's voice rang through the phone. He sounded almost guilty. He hated the fact that he'd left me here and I could tell, just from his voice.

Which was why I lied through my teeth. "Everything's perfect, Chase. Don't worry about me. How are things on your end?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Classes are good, the people are great. There's nothing for me to complain about. But I'm worried about you, Tay. I didn't want to leave you there, but I didn't have a choice."

Assuming he was talking about not wanting to move me to a whole new country, I nodded, before realizing that he couldn't see me and saying, "Yeah, I know Chase."

"No, you don't know." Chase said, gravely. I was playing with the tassels on a random throw pillow in my room, but his words startled me.

"What do you mean?" I demanded, sitting up straighter.

"Nothing, it's nothing." He insisted, sounding a little flustered.

"It's not nothing, I can tell. I know you, Chase, and I know it's not nothing." My curiosity had piqued at this point, and Chase sighed, cursing under his breath.

"It's something I shouldn't have said, though. Just....forget it, please. Please, Tay." Chase begged, and I reluctantly backed down, not wanting to fight with him when he was already so far away.

"Okay." I relented, thinking of something to change the subject to, "So, have you met anyone?" He knew exactly what I meant by that.

"The girls here are really hot, but I haven't met someone I'd want to date, if that's what you meant." I could practically hear him roll his eyes.

"If you say so." I teased, before glancing at the clock on the wall and cursing.

"Taylor Anne Channing, say that word again and I'll fly all the way back there and wash your mouth out with soap." Chase threatened, and I giggled. I sometimes joked that he was my brother, father and mother all rolled up into one and statements like these just proved that.

"Sorry!" I apologized. "I just have to get to school. I'm super late."

"Go. I'll call you again tonight, okay? I'd like to hear more about these new friends of yours."

I said a quick goodbye to him before grabbing my backpack and rushing downstairs. I didn't have time for breakfast, although I probably would've just eaten a fruit or something.

I got to school in record time, after driving my mother's white Range Rover faster than I should have.

I managed to get to Physics just before the late bell rang but, with my luck, Mr. Barker was absent and, in his place, was a substitute who was fast asleep.

I groaned as I slid into my seat, glaring at the substitute. Julio looked at me with something akin to amusement and I was taken aback for a second, unused to him showing emotion.

"Good morning." I said, smiling at him.

"Thought you were all talk and no show, princess, with those parting words." He stated simply, turning back to the front of the class.

I was confused for a moment, before realizing he meant what I'd said to him yesterday, about wanting to see him around. I'd been so embarrassed once I'd gotten home, the words repeating themselves in my mind until I almost gave myself an anxiety attack. They'd sounded so stupid.

"I don't go back on my words." I stated, faking confidence. I expected Julio to say something, but he merely nodded, before putting his head down on the desk, probably trying to sleep.