Scene Fifty-Two

Desperate to mix up the repetitive nature of her current dating life, Maisie asked her Wednesday night date to meet her at Frankie's Fun Park for go-kart racing and arcade games.  She hadn't been in a couple of years and thought Chad, a high school basketball coach, would appreciate the activity..  Dinner and conversation didn't seem like his thing based on his social media, which was full of beer pong, batting cages, and Durham Bulls games.

She had chosen her outfit carefully - the success of the past couple days renewing her excitement in the prospect of meeting new guys.  Her dark skinny jeans were frayed at the left knee, and her floral, off-the-shoulder top was both perfect for spring and looking dressy-casual at the same time.  She pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail and Talia gave her a no-makeup makeup look that she absolutely loved.  Walking out the door, she'd felt both stunning and confident that she'd have a good time.

She couldn't find Chad when she arrived, but she was a few minutes early, so she took a seat on a bench near the ticket kiosk and looked around.  It was busier than she'd expected for a Wednesday, but not so crowded that they'd have trouble doing everything they wanted.  When there was still no sign of her date five minutes later, she asked the young woman behind the counter if she'd seen anyone wandering around looking for someone.

"That guy over there, maybe?" the teen pointed to the fence surrounding the go-kart tracks, where a man in an NC State shirt and hat leaned against the links, looking towards the parking lot.

At first glance, Maisie dismissed him.  He was at least forty, and significantly shorter than the 31 year old Chad's pictures and description.  But she remembered Talia commenting on what a big Wolfpack fan Chad was, and looking closer, his face did have similar features.  There was only one way to find out.

"Excuse me? Chad?"

He startled and stared at her for a second.  "Yeah?"

"Oh, hi! I'm Maisie."  She held out a hand.  "It's nice to meet you."

He didn't take her hand.  "You're Maisie?"

She dropped her hand and nodded.  "Yep."

"Well, that's disappointing."

Her jaw may as well have unhinged it dropped so fast.  "I beg your pardon?"

He took several seconds to scan her head to toe.  "You're a lot fatter than in your pictures."

What the fuck? Maisie actually turned around to see if he was talking to someone else.  Surely a man Talia had done extensive background checks on couldn't be so rude and hypocritical.  "Are you joking?" Maisie crossed her arms protectively over her chest, where his gaze had lingered in it's scan.

"No," he said bluntly.  "You should really get some more accurate pictures on your page."

Maisie laughed, loudly.  He was going to lecture her on accurate pictures?  "Are you playing a prank on me or something? Because the info you sent me said you're 31 and 5'10" tall."

He straightened his back, as if that was somehow going to make up for the missing three or four inches.  "Yeah, that's right.  I am."

"Maybe you've aged prematurely, but if you're 31, than I hate to think what you'll look like at 40, and I'm 5'5" and wearing boots with a two inch heel.  We're the same height right now."

"Look, there's no reason to get bent out of shape.  I'm sure it's not your fault you're 'curvy' but I only date girls sized four and under."

She couldn't decide if it was his air quotes around curvy or the fact he had the audacity to say any of this to her face that infuriated her more.  "I guess it's a good thing I've got a ruler in my bag.  I can whip it out and measure your penis while we're talking about disappointments."

"Oh, it wouldn't be a disappointment."

"You're so concerned with size, let's check it out.  Although, I should warn you, I don't date guys smaller than six inches."

"Don't be a bitch."

"Don't be an asshole."

"This is the problem with you fucking feminists - you take offense at everything."

"Oh, I'm sorry, was something you said meant to be complimentary?  Hell, neutral, even?  You insult me and expect what? For me to say thank you?  Sorry for bothering you?  Fuck off."

"Um, excuse me?" A man in khakis and a royal blue polo stepped between Maisie and Chad.

"What?" Chad spat.

"This is a family establishment.  Please don't use language like that in front of kids."

Maisie craned her neck scoping out the area.  "I don't see any kids around, but if I do, I'll make sure to explain to them that privileged men like this douche aren't worth their time or attention.  Have a nice night."  She turned on her heel and sauntered away, knowing she was one hundred times better than that prick, but saddened by the fact that he'd never know it.