Chapter 7

Nothing is better than Friday nights. No work the next day, and can have a lazy night while stuffing my face.
And Elena called saying that she was going to come see me because she needed to talk.

I'm sure just to complain about how all men are cowards and she was tired of her single life.

So when it was the end of the day, I just grabbed my stuffs and walked out of my office.

"Lydia." I smiled at my secretary. "What are you still doing here?"

"I didn't know if you needed something. You seemed to have a lot to do."

"That's really nice of you. But I'm done. You can go home now." I said and she nodded grabbing her things.

"Have a good night."

"You too, Lydia." I said locking my office door.

****

"Hey, I'm going home." I said leaning against the office's doorframe.

"Okay. Wait. Did you think about the conference in Italy?" Jason asked and I frowned. "You know you have to come this time right?"

"But I can't leave my mother alone."

"Vicky, you never left the country since you started working here. And I was okay with it because of your mom. But now you're not a student anymore. I need you and Seb there. You have to come." He explained and I sighed. "It's just for a couple of days."

He sighed when I still looked unsure.

"You can add my mother phone number to the emergency contacts. You know she'll be more than happy to help."

"Okay." I sighed defeated. "Let me know the dates." I said.
"Aren't you leaving?"

"I have to finish this first." He sighed. "Just tell me when you get home."

I nodded and left the office while closing the door behind me.

I know he was right. What was acceptable when I was a student is not anymore.

But what if I leave the country and I'm not here when my mother needs me. I'm the only one she has and I'm the only hospital contact.

Just as I was about to get in my car, I heard someone grumbled and the sound of someone falling.
I looked back and saw a man trying to get up and failing, and I noticed that he is was an old man.

I closed my door and walked closer to him. "Are you okay sir?"

"Yes." He groaned. "My knee is just not as good anymore. I'm trying to go to that bench there to wait for my brother." He said pointing at the bench on the other side of the street.

"Let me help you." I smiled grabbing his arm as he stood up.

"You are a good person. What's your name, young lady?" He asked as we slowly started walking to the bench.

"Victoria."

"Victoria." He repeated. "It's really a pleasure to meet you."

I nodded as we got there. He slowly sat down and looked up at me.

"I'm sure you'll get what you deserve. Thank you for your help."

"No worries. Take care." I smiled trying to walk away but he stopped.

"My name is Kevin. Please remember it."

I nodded and walked away. I unlocked my car again and turned to look his way again.

Is it safe to leave him here alone? He's old.

"What are you still doing here?" I jumped at Jason's voice and looked at him.