xii. softball player

steve, wendy, and dustin all got out of the car, shutting their doors in unison.
"so why are you two hanging out again? susie told me that you guys stopped talking." dustin looked at wendy as steve opened his trunk.

"it's kind of a long story." wendy said, starting to shiver from the cold. steve reached into his trunk, pulling out a bat that was covered in nails at the end.

"how do you have that?!" wendy asked as she stared at the bat. steve looked at wendy.
"that's another story for another day." steve stated.

"maybe you can tell me once we finally go to dinner." wendy retorted.
steve closed his trunk, ignoring wendy's comment, and the three walked around dustin's house until they arrived at the cellar door.

steve pointed his flashlight at the chained door and leaned in slightly.
"i don't hear shit." steve commented.
"he's in there." dustin responded.

steve took the bat, tapping the handle of the door slightly. silence. he took the bat again, this time, he hit the bat against the door. silence.

"all right, listen, kid. i swear if this is some sort of halloween prank, you're dead." steve stated annoyed, pointing the flashlight in dustin's face.
"don't point it in his face, steve." wendy stated.

"it's not. it's not a prank. get it out of my face." dustin looked at steve, becoming annoyed.

|||

thirty minutes had passed, steve harrington opened the cellar door. wendy held the flashlight down towards the bottom of the cellar.

"let me see that." steve said, grabbing the flashlight from wendy's slightly shaky hands. steve pointed the flashlight down, not seeing anything.

"he must be further down there," dustin commented. wendy began to shiver again. it was chilly outside, and her jacket wasn't helping her at all.

"i'll stay up here in case he tries to escape." dustin commented. steve and wendy stared at dustin.

steve looked back at wendy, raising an eyebrow.
"hell no. i'm not going down there." wendy shook her head.

"rock, paper, scissors. if i win, you go down there with me." steve said. wendy sighed, but played with him.

"rock, paper, scissors, shoot!" the teens said in unison. steve played a rock, and wendy played scissors.
"damnit! i don't have anything to use." wendy groaned.

"just hold the flashlight." steve commented, giving wendy the flashlight.
"i played softball for six years as a kid, but okay." wendy scoffed as the two started walking down the stairs.

wendy walked behind steve, and she saw a string, causing her to point the flashlight up at it. steve pulled it, and then looked down at his feet.

steve picked up the shedded skin of the creature, holding it up by the baseball bat.
"hoooooly shit!" wendy gasped, looking at the skin. she looked away, only to look towards the wall.

her eyes widened slightly as she nudged steve.
"steve." she whispered. steve looked over towards what wendy was looking at.

from upstairs, dustin began to grow worried about his new acquaintances
"steve, wendy? what's going on down there guys?" dustin called out.

he stared down into the cellar, waiting for a response. then, steve popped out.
"get down here." steve ordered.

dustin walked downstairs and steve held up the shedded skin that was on his bat.
"oh, shit." dustin sighed. steve took the bat and pointed it to the hole in the destroyed wall.

"oh shit!" dustin yelled.