A Call to the Wilds

It'd been a week since the fire, Cotton was staying with Anse and Levicy and Chyna had settled in well with Skunkhair for the time

Levicy watched as every weekend Cap road Cotton up to see Chyna and together the three would return and Chyna would help Levicy around the house.

This was one such weekend.

Levicy watched as Cap carefully bundled Cotton up, it was very cold in these late autumn mornings.

Cap whistled to himself a quick upbeat playful tune thatcher was making up as he went.

Hanging off his arm was a basket. He handed it to Cotton. "now you sure you can ride an not drop it? " Cap asked Cotton cautiously.

Cotton nodded his head vigorously "I won't drop it for nothin Cap, we worked real hard on it" Cotton said. Cap chuckled at how serious Cotton's face had become as he hugged the basket tight.

"awright, get on up on your horse we're gonna leave now" said Cap.

Levicy shook her head and gave a long defeated sigh. Cap was like his Pa, good at hiding anything he ever felt.

Anything that is, but love. It always showed up like that small dim star between the clouds of a midnight rain storm.

Levicy waved goodbye to the boys as they road away and managed a small smile.

"you don't never just sit down do you? " Skunkhair said in a bit of a sour tone. Hello watched Chyna amble about his home, dusting and putting everything back in its proper place.

While Skunkhair had planned to enjoy his day by relaxing until which he felt like making the ride into town.

"nope a busy body is a body still livin" Chyna said with a smile. "yous too young to be talkin like old folk" Skunkhair warned.

"ever heard of a old soul? That's me, an' likely you too. Sittin about doin nothin - nothin but sitting around chewing tabbaco and carving up little things out of wood" Chyna shot back.

Skunkhair chuckled and Chyna cracked a triumphant smile.

It hadn't been long, the time she has spent up at his cabin. But she felt safe enough that she could be herself around him, not as much as she'd show to Cotton or Cap or even Iris and Clent. But still it was always nice to have someone she didn't have to mind herself with.

She found her hands twirling a crude yet beautiful necklace around her neck, large wooden beads painted bright red, black, orange and yellow. Each having a unique white pattern on them.

Skunkhair arched a brow "when'd you get that? " he asked.

Chyna's eyes sparkled "ain't it pretty? It's kinda...well it ain't perfect the beads ain't all the same size and the paint missed some spots.... But it's nice looking. Iris gave it to me but Clent made it for me. " she said excitedily.