Forgiveness

As soon as we were alone, Elijah's demeanour seemed to shift. The proud, tranquil facade lifting slightly as he sat down heavily on the sofa. He seemed tired, exhausted.

"What the hell is this, Elijah?" I demanded, my arms crossing over my chest. He smirked up at me then.
"Must you be so confrontational, sister?" He said dryly.
"You tell me" I responded, "I've spent centuries on the run because you and Niklaus wanted me dead". He frowned then, tilting his head slightly in a sort of pained confusion.
"Your involvement concerning the escape of Katerina Petrova was... unfortunate" he started, looking to the ground "And I'm aware Niklaus may have, well, overreacted" he paused, looking to me again. "But, I forgave you a long time ago, Grace" a smile tugged at the corner of his lips then, yet I still felt apprehensive.
"Why?" I demanded.
"We made a promise" Elijah responded simply, the smile disappearing. My stance softened then.

"Always and forever" I murmured, causing him to smile up at me gently, before I sat down next to him on the sofa.

"We're family, Grace... you didn't forget the meaning of that". It was my turn to frown at him in confusion then, he almost looked guilty. "I remember you came to us in New Orleans... about the movements of our father" he paused, looking to the ground again as I fiddled with the corner of my jacket nervously. "We should have trusted you". I nodded in response, remembering the fight that incurred when I urged them to run all those years ago. "Niklaus also informed me about what you did in Chicago" I avoided his gaze then. "You never gave up on us, Grace" he said softly, placing a hand on my shoulder. I stiffened as tears began to prick my eyes again.

"Why are you here, Elijah?"

The determined tone of my voice made his hand drop from my side. A look of hurt briefly flashed across his face before he shook his head.
"I need your help" he started, staring at the floor. "I refuse to be blinded by my loyalty to Niklaus any longer".
"What do you mean?" I enquired, turning to face him once more.
"He has destroyed this family, Grace... it's only the three of us left now". He paused, preparing himself slightly.
"Our brother, he cannot continue to live, not after everything that's happened". His words shook me to the core. We sat in silence for a moment as the realisation sank in.
"Is there truly no hope for him?" I said sadly.
"There was a time where I thought there was... but that's no longer the case, his actions have made certain of that".

"I'll help you" I responded abruptly, scarcely believing I was agreeing to this. Judging by the look on his face, he was equally surprised. "I won't lose anyone else... not to this curse and especially not to Niklaus". I said determinedly, an understanding nod is all I received in return. "You've found a family of your own in Mystic Falls, sister... it is understandable that you wish to protect them". I smiled then, it was true. The friendships I had formed felt like the closest thing to normalcy in the last five hundred years. "And... may I enquire about the brother?" I shot him a glance, causing another smile to tug at his lips. "Or not, fine" He raised his hands in mock defense. "You and your sister are more alike than you would care to admit". I smiled sadly at the thought of Rebekah, shaking my head slightly.
"I miss her, Elijah".
"As do I, Grace... As do I".

After leaving the house, Elijah took me to yet another one. I knew it was in Mystic Falls somewhere, but I was not exactly certain of its precise location. We spoke more about his plans, before introducing me to a Doctor Martin, a warlock it seemed. He shook my hand apprehensively, before looking to Elijah and leaving the room with a nod.

I stayed at this new house for some time, until my phone vibrated in my pocket. A text message and a missed call from Elena. I felt my heart plummet as I read the words on the screen. I had to go back, now.