|Twenty One|

The fifteen- very bumpy- minuets to drive to the scene on main street of the island was uncomfortable to say the least with the roasting sun and tight clothing making breathing very hard in the dry air. Parking the jeep was easy enough before I had to awkwardly lower myself from the height of the drivers seat onto the hot ground, my swollen feet protesting in their cushioned trainers. 

Grabbing my bag of water bottles and basic first aid kit; I give a huff to blow the sticky lock of hair out of my eyes as I waddle through the maintenance doors onto the walkway of main street and manage to spot Steve beside an elderly couple; the gentleman sitting on the floor with his partner sitting beside him, her hand resting atop of his in his lap. 

I hope that the couple, now in front of me, could be Owen and myself one day. Still happy together and not letting age get in the way of anything. Wrinkled crows feet at the side of our glassy eyes from years of laughing and smiling with each other and our hair having gone grey and thinning years previously but both of us insisting its a stylish silver and that it was just thinning for the summer. 

"Thank you Zoe. I'm sorry for calling but I wanted to make sure I' done everything right and everyone is busy at the med centre. German isn't my strongest language and I don't want to leave him before I check everything is fine." Steve babbles as he stands to greet me from from his previous position crouching in front of the couple. His buzzed strawberry blonde hair catching the bright sun as he nervously runs a hand over it as he nervously begins telling me the situation at hand.  The man having felt dizzy and unsteady on his feet had fallen over and sprained his wrist on impact with the hard ground. He'd checked for breakage and any other hidden injuries but everything seemed fine. 

With a smile I turned to the couple who were beaming up at me. 

"Hello I'm Zoe," I introduce myself in German as I perch myself on the bench they were sitting on, the lady going to stand but I stop her, "It's okay, stay seated, I shouldn't be too long. Just want to make sure everything the newbie has done over here is correct," I smile as I take her hand and sit her back down. 

"No, no, it's fine dear," her soft voice frail but also seeming strong with her German tongue, "I used to be a midwife and you look ready to pop! Are you sure you should be working out here?" she smiles; her question not insulting but inquisitive instead. 

"I go on official maternity leave in three days time but for the past few weeks I've juts been chasing around after this one," I beam as I point over my shoulder with my thumb to Steve who is standing awkwardly behind me. 

"Which leads me to the handsome hero in front of me." I turn to face the man beside me on the bench, his fragile smile seeming to be genuine.  

"Oh, I wouldn't call me handsome," he chuckles, "Penny here might think you're trying to steal me away," he cheekily replies as we all give a small laugh

"I won't tell if you don't" I wink. 

"Ah nonsense," he waves his hands at me in dismissal, "nothing get's past the boss," he looks out of the corner of his eye to nod at his partner behind him who is shaking her head smiling. 

I give a small laugh, "careful, we don't want her feeding you to the dinosaurs,"  

"I'm sure that's why she's brought me here," he motions to our bustling surrounding with families and groups of tourists running around to make the most of their day .

Smiling I then motion to his hands, "Seems to me like you're okay," I then try to think of what may have caused him to fall, "have you had plenty of water today- the sun and heat may have caused a small case of heat stroke?" I try to check off my mental check list.

"yip," he chuckles, "Penny's been forcing the horrid stuff down me since we arrived,"

"have you had a substantial meal?" I quiz and to this he frowns a little

His partner speaks, "We've had breakfast and a small snack but haven't had chance to get any lunch yet with the big ques. Fred insists that we wait till they die down a little,"

Bingo!

Rummaging around in my large bag I pull out two protein bars, "munch on these for now but could you please go have a sandwich. I'm afraid the only time the lines stop is when we kick everyone out at the end of the day," I sigh as Fred takes them from me and hands them to his partner. 

"I'll do anything a pretty lady asks me to do," he winks as Penny taps his shoulder at his teasing. 

"Then you should be doing everything Penny asks," I smile as I stand slowly, getting my balance properly before picking up the heavy bad. 

The couple smiles up at me, "Thank you,"

"Enjoy the rest of you're day," I say as I turn to face Steve- who is wearing a face of amazement.

"That was amazing!" He whispers as we begin walking back to his small station beside reception, "I knew you spoke a lot of languages but to flirt and do everything under the sun at the same time is just- wow!" he smiles as we pass a pub where an argument and scuffle in occurring between a teen and a security guard. 

Before I can even register what is happening, the teen has broken free and runs- almost drunkenly- out of the busy pub and pushes past me harshly as he goes. 

The fire that spreads across my stomach as he pushes harshly on my bump as he flees the shop has an uncontrolled cry of agony escaping my lips just before I slump into Steve. He barely catches me and manages to lower me to the ground slowly as I grit my teeth and squeeze my eyes shut at the excruciating pain now exploding inside of me.

"My water just broke!" I cry as I grip onto Steve for dear life whilst a crowd begins to form around us, "Get Owen!" the need to scream uncontrollable, " I need Owen!" I pant uncontrollably as panic bubbles in my throat and makes it hard to cry out against the pain,

 "Baby's coming! Baby's coming!"

A/N:

I'm not too sure if I like this chapter... penny for your thoughts?