Chapter 49

Grace was beyond exhausted when she arrived home this day. Fortunately, the hybrid bite had completely healed, but the conversation with Nik left her torn. She was mad at him, seriously mad for daggering Rebekah, killing Carol and thinking that low of his own brother. But on the other hand, he was so caring and protective towards her that it made her heart melt. 

Still, she fell asleep in her torn dress, not even noticing that Elijah joined her shortly after. The thoughts only came back when she woke, held tightly by her love. Sunlight was already shining brightly into the bedroom. 

"Have I missed any more deaths while I slept?" 

She groaned, burying her face in his clothed chest. He must've been up already, his shirt smelled freshly washed. Elijah's fingers lightly combed her straight hair. 

"No, but a new mayor was found. Bonnie Bennetts' father. I hope that won't be a problem. A service is being held at the school's gym, where he'll be introduced." 

Grace looked up again, finding him staring out of the window deep in thought. 

"I really tried. I begged him to let Carol live. But he did it anyway." 

Sighing, she interlaced their fingers. 

"That's what my brother does, Grace. I have seen him spiraling like that a hundred times now, but I'm truly ashamed that you had to experience it that way. It's my task to protect you, even from him and I failed." 

His eyes darkened and Grace immediately sat up with a frown. Sometimes he just let himself sink into that darkness when he thought that he did something wrong. Did he really think that low of himself? It would be a long way for Grace to help him out of that self loathing.

"No, Elijah, I'm a grown woman. I can make my own decisions. I can handle this, really. Maybe I do seem quite fragile, but I got quite the thick skull."

She smiled lightly, to which Elijah cupped her cheeks with his hand. 

"You're the strongest person I ever met, Miss Gilbert." 

His words touched her deeply and made her heart clench in a delicate way. Grace leaned down and kissed him longingly. 

"I need to shower...wanna join?" 

She mumbled while grinning mischievously. The Original vampire didn't waste a second and sped to the bathroom carrying her. He helped her out of the ripped dress, while Grace undid the buttons of his shirt. Undressing always had something elegant, teasing with him, but now they were quite in a rush. Their lips never parted when he led her to the shower, Grace desperately awaiting the feeling of the warm water rinsing all the dirt and blood down from her body, while she could still touch Elijah's skin. 

But when he turned on the handle, there was no amazing feeling of warm water on her skin. Just pure pain as if the water was acid. It probably was, but in the form of vervain. Grace knew what kind of damage this wretched plant left. She let out a scream of surprise as her usually fair skin literally etched away. Fortunately, Elijah was more resilient and was quick enough to rush them both out from under the water. They crashed into the opposite wall, quickly grabbing towels to get rid of the vervain water. 

"What the hell..." 

Grace said in panic as she watched the wounds on her arms slowly close. When she looked up, she saw that Elijah's handsome face was full of terrible burn wounds, but they were healing more quickly than hers. 

"Someone must've put vervain in the water system..."

His eyes scanned the still running shower and he quickly reached over to turn off the handle, burning his forearm with it.