Chapter Nine: History Channel

Walking out of the girl’s locker room, I was surprised on how comfortable a set of gym clothes could be. Never before had it occurred to me that two- sizes- too- big may be the way to go with all of my clothes. Not that my mother would allow me to wear such things.

The maroon gym shorts flowed to my knees, the silky fabric rubbing against the inside of my thighs as I strode down the hallway behind Lucas. The t-shirt met my knees too, the grey fabric easily absorbing all of the sweat that drained from my pours as the heaters turned on above.

We ended up back in the teacher’s lounge. Lucas sat down at the musty old couch and flicked on the television. I reluctantly joined him. A football game was on, Bears versus Giants, not that I was really interested. Little blurbs of opposite colors attacked each other while the fans cheered, whistles sounded, and sports casters ranted. Suddenly, the cheers swelled for reasons unbeknownst to me. A sigh of disdain was heard beside me and the channel was changed. Disney. Lucas smashed down the button on that remote quick as a flash. Animal Planet. I felt the couch beneath me shift as Lucas turned to face me.

“You in the mood to watch some antelope be gutted by a tiger?” he asked. After the initial wave of shock wore off from being spoken to civilly by Mr. Gameboy, I shook my head weakly.

Hey, Mr. Gameboy. I have to remember to use that sometime.

Lucas lifted the remote and switched the channel once, twice, three times before landing on something that made him grunt softly in approval. My jaw dropped.

History Channel.

“You like the History Channel?” I burst out. The shock in my voice was evident, causing a bemused grin to spread across Lucas’s face.

“Yes, in fact, I love History Channel. And not just because of Pawn Stars,” he chuckled. He focused his eyes back on the television, watching as a special entitled “Civil War Mysteries” melted to commercials before we even had a chance to start watching.

“Civil War’s okay,” he commented offhandedly “But I’m much more of a World War Two guy myself. They make more video games about that.” Now it was my turn to chuckle.

“You didn’t strike me as the history buff type,” I said. A flash of a frown danced across Lucas’s face, but it was swept away in the blink of an eye. Lucas shrugged.

“Yeah, I get that a lot. You’re into science stuff, right?” he asked. I tried to ignore the slight squeeze of my stomach from this. Why was he talking so civilly to me all of a sudden? I looked away and focused on the window to my left.

“Yeah, usually I watch Nova on PBS. But late at night I’ll watch History, since that’s when they show the good stuff instead of the TV series,” I replied. Lucas slapped a hand on his knee, making me jump.

“Right? I mean, I miss the war specials, and the looks onto daily life for Indians--”

“Native Americans,” I corrected. Lucas laughed, a genuine, non-sardonic laugh. What the hell was going on?

“Okay, alright, I’ll use the political correct term. But still, don’t you agree? The channels not nearly what it used to be,” he said.

Maybe he was just sick of fighting. Maybe he just wanted someone to talk to. Or maybe the kid was just really enthusiastic about History Channel. But none the less, it was progress. I let myself smile, a true smile.

“Yeah, I agree,” I said, making eye contact with Lucas. He stared back at me with curious eyes, the kind I only saw once in a blue moon when someone was genuinely interested in what I had to say. I opened my mouth to say more when my phone rang and I reached down to check the caller ID.

Shit.

It was my mother.

 A/N-- Hey guys, so as I promised, I will update everyday from now on. Sorry I waited until so late in the day, but Dance Mom's was on tonight, and that show is my life. Next chappie we shall learn more about Nat's life, sorry to leave you all on a cliffhanger! Please please please vote. It takes one second. And thank you all for the support and comments, I never thought I would make it in the top twenty for Watty Awards.

<3 <3 <3