Chapter 1: Beginnings

Asgard, home of the beautiful. Home of the gods and goddesses of the old Norse Tales. Buildings built in gold and quartz, the wealthy wearing lavish robes with silver and gold embroidery. The lesser wearing simple tunics of earthy tones, bearing their families symbols proudly. The Vanguard and soldiers marching and training in metal plated armor, never bearing a single scratch and always glinting in the sunlight. 

This was the home I grew up to love. I had the support of my family, my father Brjnolf the Bear; that's what he said his friends called him though I had never met his friends. And younger sister, Uthgard, an eager and dangerously curious child. My mother rests in Valhalla with the legion of battle maidens who fell at the War of Fjords long ago. I barely knew her, my only memory of her was telling me tales of legendary warriors that served under The Allfather himself.

When I reached the age of fifteen I began training with my father for what was about to be at our hands.

Five months before the opening of the event I began to train and build up my strength. My training would always begin the early hours of the day before sunrise. It was always with large bulky maces and heavy axes that swung too slowly for my liking. I had grown to hate them really, but after a light meal when the sun rose I was off to the opening of the Warrior Academy. My father waved me off and said I would get in with ease. Just because I can beat him in training, doesn't mean I can beat someone else in battle.

Since my mother served under the 5th vanguard of The Allfather, her name carried enough honor to allow me into such an extravagant facility. Fifteen children were to be trained and enlightened about battle tactics and history. They were the next elite soldiers of Odin- trained to protect the throne and it's royalties at all costs, much like the renown Valkyries of the old tales. If we were killed in battle, we would be sent straight to Valhalla to wait for Odin to join us- Einherjar. However, we needed to prove our worth to be in different classes. And I knew it wouldn't be easy. We had to show what we could do over the course of two days. Every child had to attempt every subject. And more than one child was bound to make a fool of themselves.

Every class was unique. Queen Frigga herself taught the history of magic and magic lessons. I knew I didn't have the aptitude to join either class but the thought of having her as a teacher was exciting.

Battle training was with Orgnar- a captain of the 2nd vanguard. Orgnar was strict and demanding. Only a select few were given access to his classes, the other mentor was his nephew Tryjn; who was much more laid back and accepting. My father said he'd once fought beside Tryjn and said he barely made an expression as he cut down the opposing warriors.

Horse lessons were a difficult class to both get into and to enjoy. Having to bond with a giant beast and to gain its trust in mere days seemed impossible.

But alas these are just a few possibilities I am offered but may not receive.

I was soon beginning to get crowded and pushed around as hundreds of kids flooded into the open courtyard. Golden trees that grew shimmering gemstones and roses that smelled of food were neatly arranged in the large area of land. Everyone was talking and telling each other tales of who they were and what they had done. This was all silenced as Odin bashed his staff into the ground. His golden robe was draped carefully at his side and Queen Frigga stood tall in his light green robes and golden circlet. I caught a glimpse of both Princes standing behind them but quickly looked away. If I was caught, they would have my head, quite literally.

"Children of Asgard, we gather here on this day to bring forth a new generation of soldiers. Only fifteen of you shall make it through and continue training to serve under me as the elite squadron of warriors. If you are not accepted, return home and you may try again the next year. On the second day, we will begin the battle scoring. That will determine your final acceptance. Let us begin." Odin nodded his head to us and turned on his heel. Queen Frigga lay her hand on his shoulder gently then stepped down to attend to the large number of kids wanting to impress her.