Whiskey

After a while, I knew I had to go back to school if I wanted to stay in this town without raising suspicion. So after a nearly uneventful week of lessons and homework, a confrontation was the last thing I expected. I was leaving for the day, the hallway was empty and dark as I had left the classroom late.

"Grace" a voice echoed down the hall. I turned to face it, nearly dropping my bag in surprise as I saw Tyler only a few steps behind me. "Tyler?" I questioned, confused at his demeanour. "You're back" he observed rigidly, looking me up and down. "Yeah... I was out of town for a bit" I smiled awkwardly, before suddenly realising. "Hey, how did the full moon go? Caroline texted me and I'm sorry I couldn't-" his hand flew up, cutting me off as his brows knitted together.
"Just stop" he said angrily, he lowered his hand, his fist clenching as he did so.

"What happened to Mason? My uncle?"

I froze, my eyes widening in shock as I stared back at the boy in front of me. I opened my mouth to say something, before closing it again. He scoffed at my silence, before shaking his head in anger. "How about I answer for you?" He offered,  bitterness dripping from his voice. "You, Caroline and The Salvatore brothers killed him" he paused, his jaw clenching at my still stunned silence. "Is that true?".

"Tyler" I started calmly, I knew the anger that werewolves could unleash. "The last thing I want to do is lie to you... So, yes". He blinked in confusion, clearly expecting me to argue, to attempt to defend myself. "I'm truly sorry, Tyler". I could feel my eyes watering as I looked to him, the confusion on his face quickly replaced by anger. He grabbed me by the collars of my jacket and pushed me against the lockers, His eyes glowing as he gritted his teeth in fury.
"Sorry? Sorry isn't going to do shit! How could you do this, Grace?" He demanded, his voice raising as his anger grew. "I trusted you! I trusted Caroline, damn it!". I stood there in shock, not quite knowing how to react for a moment. "Jules was right about you, she was right about all of you!" He shouted in my face, his knuckles whitening as he gripped harder.

At the mention of Jules I grabbed Tyler by the throat suddenly, switching our places in a blur. His back slammed against the locker, causing it to dent as the metal clattered loudly upon contact. "Listen up, Tyler" I started, the anger in my voice rising. "My best friend is dead because of Jules, so if you want to crawl back to her and tell her she was right, be my fucking guest" I snarled, my voice breaking slightly as my fingers gripped his throat harder. "I have a thousand years on you, so this 'tough wolf-boy' act isn't going to work on me, so think twice about that next time". I pushed hard again before I stepped back, dropping him to the ground as he coughed violently.

"I said I was sorry about Mason" I murmured, turning back to face Tyler, my eyes stinging again with tears. "I only just met you when it happened, how was I supposed to tell you something like that..." he looked up at me then, some small part of him almost looked sympathetic. "But Caroline... she didn't have to tell you anything, she told you because she cared, she put herself at risk just because she didn't want you to be alone". His eyes flashed down to the floor in guilt then, he knew I was right. "So don't you dare blame her for what happened to Mason, blame me and blame Damon all you like, but leave Caroline out of your petty werewolf bullshit" I finished, still seething as I walked away.

By the time I had gotten back to The Boarding House, it was fair to say my anger hadn't diminished in the slightest. I walked straight into the parlour, barely noticing Alaric who was waiting for Damon as I stormed across the room.
"Is... everything okay?"
"Just peachy, Ric" I said sarcastically, without looking up, wiping my tears away angrily as I tried to continue walking. I could hear him scoff slightly, before sighing, "doesn't look like it, kid". I turned to face him then, anger still clear in eyes, he almost looked startled by the look on my face, which caused it to soften. "Tell me that's whiskey?" I said with a sigh, noticing the bottle in his hand, before sitting down heavily next to him. Before he could answer me, I grabbed it from him and took three large gulps.
"I, uh..." Alaric paused, clearly unsure of what to do as I continued drinking, grimacing slightly at the burning sensation as it went down my throat. "Watching one of my students rob me of alcohol was not how I pictured this evening going" he said awkwardly.
"I'm a thousand years older than you, Ric" I scoffed. "So enough judging my drinking habits and calling me 'kid'". He raised his hands in mock defense before chuckling lightly.

An hour passed - aswell as the entire bottle of whiskey - before I was in a substantially drunken state. Thankfully, Ric was understanding and let me talk things out and drink and just... be sad for once. Without judgment. I held the bottle up to my mouth, and pouted in dismay at the dismally small drop that came out. "Oh..." I started, "I drank all your whiskey" I complained, slurring my words slightly. "I'll get you one hundred more bottles, Ric, don't you worry" I laughed gesturing wildly, before hiccuping. My vision blurring slightly. He stifled a laugh, before sighing. "Y'know, I'll hold you to that, kid" he said. It had been some time since I had drank substantially. It took a lot for us vampires to get drunk usually, a high tolerance was to blame.  Yet, for some reason, here I was. I laughed slightly at the thought. "But... uh... Grace?" Alaric asked, a hint of concern in his voice.
"Yeeeeessss" I drawled out, inspecting the last remaining drops of whiskey in the bottle.
"I'm about to head out, Damon should be back soon however and he can, well...". My eyes shot up in anger, glaring at him as I whined,
"why him?".
"Because" he sighed, standing up to leave, "Stefan is on Tyler duty and Elena's at her house, which is also where I'm due to to be soon to see Jenna" he stated simply, glancing at his watch.
"But Damon doesn't like me" I groaned, as I lay back against the cold floor, causing another sigh from Alaric "He's forgotten me" I stared absentmindedly at the ceiling.
"Y'know, Damon may be an asshole but he wouldn't do that intentionally" Alaric said comfortingly.
"Or I just wasn't important enough to remember... I've been around so long Ric... too long" I hummed, "sometimes I forget the irrelevant things too".

"Ooh someone's a bad drunk" a sing-song voice chimed out. I shot up instantly, ignoring my spinning head. Damon was stood at the door, his signature smirk plastered in his face.
"Pfffft" I started, causing him to laugh slightly, "am not".
"Oh you definitely are" he said, walking towards me.
"Where the hell have you been, Damon?" Alaric enquired tiredly.
"Long story... these werewolves are really starting to piss me off" he started, "But it does seem like Elijah's keeping his promise to Elena, not that we can trust the guy". He glanced down at me awkwardly then at the mention of my brother.
"Heyyy" I groaned, to which Damon rolled his eyes before holding out his hand out to help me up, which I grabbed reluctantly. However, due to my not-so-sober state, when I stood up, I simply fell into him again, causing him to stumble back slightly in surprise as he caught me. He sighed, before picking me up again, one arm hooking under my legs and the other around my shoulders as I awkwardly grabbed onto him so I wouldn't fall. He nodded to Alaric, receiving the same in return before heading upstairs with me in his arms, again.

"Y'know, my arms are getting awfully tired of carrying you around everywhere, Grace" Damon quipped as we reached the spare bedroom. I giggled in response, before smiling up at the man who was carrying me, his face blurring in and out of focus. "Your eyes are really blue" I noted as he squinted down at me, looking almost taken aback as he pushed the door open with his shoulder. He placed me down on the bed, sliding my shoes off my feet. He took my red jacket off before placing it carefully on the chair next to the bed. He lifted the blanket up and covered up legs with it as I sat there, my head still spinning.

Just as he was about to stand up again to leave, I grabbed his arm, causing him to turn back to face me once more, looking over me in concern.

"you okay?" He asked. I didn't know if it was my imagination or the alcohol that made him seem like he was genuinely worried. I shook my head, and he leaned in slightly, cupping my face gently as he studied it, trying to determine what was wrong. I looked to him then, his eyes full of concern and innocence.
"Why don't you remember me?" I whispered, causing him to freeze, my hand still gripping his arm. He squinted at me in confusion, his jaw tensing as he gulped.
"I don't know, Grace" he murmured.

It was then that I realised how close together we were. His fingers still gently touching my jaw as I let go of his arm. I shivered slightly as I noticed his eyes flick downwards momentarily, before he locked eyes with me again. Before I could stop myself, I was leaning forward, my eyes closing as my heart raced in my chest. I felt his lips graze mine, barely touching before he pulled away. My eyes shot open, blinking in pained confusion as Damon stared back at me, pulling back further.
"You need to rest" he said blankly, his jaw tense and brows knitted together as he stood up. I nodded in response, forcing myself not to show any emotion. Damon turned and left the room, closing the door slowly behind him. My cheeks burned with embarrassment as I pulled the covers over my head, and laid down to sleep once more.