Peanut Butter

Previously...

"I accidently bump her wound with my knuckle. Ally flinches and I stop to look up at her. "I'm sorry, did I hurt you? Should I get Hershel?"

"Whoa." Ally stares at me, a funny look on her face. "Slow down there, cowboy."

"Sorry... Are you okay?" I can feel my cheeks burn and my stomach twist.

"I'm fine, dorkus." Ally smiles, exposing her perfectly straight, white teeth.

Continued...

I smile back, shaking my head. "Alright, Ally." I say as I finish wrapping her leg. "Or should I call you Rory?" I sit back against the wall, watching her as I do so, and her face falls.

"W-What?" Her face goes pale, and she's staring at me with wide eyes.

"Rory..." I say glancing down at her backpack that was still sitting on the bed. "The name is carved onto the strap."

Ally takes a deep breath, her body relaxing. "Right..." Her bright eyes shift down to her hands that are holding herself upright on the bed.

"Who is Rory? If you don't mind me asking." I say, trying to make eye contact with her.

She looks up at me, blinking rapidly. She has the most longest eyelashes I've ever seen. "Nothing... Just a nickname... doesn't matter." She shakes her head, awkwardly rubbing her arm.

"Alright... Rory." I wiggle my eyebrows at her. She glances at me and cracks a smile as she's rolling her eyes.

"Hey," I turn to see Daryl standing in the doorway.

"Whats up, Dixon?" Ally asks, sounding super casual, as if she wasn't talking to her father she just discovered was still alive. 

"Uh..." Daryl shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "Hows your leg?"

"Healed." Ally answers, looking up at her dad.

Daryl nods. "Good..."

She nods back. "Yep..."

I guess things are still awkward between the two of them, but how could they not be?

The silence and tension in the room is barbaric, and I feel like starting a conversation but I know it's not my place to do so.

"Uh... So, I'll talk to you later." Daryl says and quickly exits the room before any of us could say anything.

I look at Ally who just shrugs. "Come on." I stand up. "And grab your stuff, let's get you into an actual cell to stay in."

"What's wrong with this one?" She asks, standing up and grabbing her backpack and throwing it over her shoulder.

"This is more of our medical cell, I guess. It's closest to the door so just in case something happens, we could get them in here faster." I explain as I head for the cell exit.

Ally nods, following me close behind as I lead her out of the cell and down the corridor to a different one. I walk her to the one that's third to the end of the corridor, that is currently empty. And that is right next to mine. "Here is good."

She nods at me before looking at the light blue sheet covering the entrance of the cell. She looks up at me and acknowledges the cell to the right. "Who's my neighbor?"

"Oh- me." I say, my hands behind my back.

She nods. "Cool. Guess I just moved in then." Ally smiles at me, jokingly, before pushing back the sheet and walking into her new cell.

Without thinking, I follow right behind her. She throws her bag onto the bed and the strap that is labeled Rory is hanging off the bed, skimming the ground.

"Who gave you the nickname?" I ask, speaking my thoughts.

"Don't you knock?" She teases, raising her eyebrows. I smile softly, sitting myself down on the bottom bunk. Ally stares at me, a laughing smile spread across her lips. "Make yourself at home, Grimes."

I smile back. "Will do, Dixon."

She shakes her head, zipping open her bag and pulls out a jar of peanut butter. I watch her closely as she zips the backpack back up, sitting next to it, on my right. Ally looks up at me, her bright, green eyes shining into my blue ones. "You allergic?"

I shake my head no and smile at her. "But, you do know we have food here right?"

She nods, pulling out a plastic spoon from the front pocket of her backpack. "But, you don't have peanut butter."

I laugh, shaking my head. She reaches for another white plastic spoon in her front pocket of the backpack and hands it to me. "Don't tell anyone, it's hard to get this shit."

I chuckle lightly. "Alright, your secret is safe with me." I promise as she places the peanut butter jar on her left knee and scoots closer to me so we could share. 

We stayed there in Ally's cell, eating peanut butter right out of the jar, for the rest of the day, talking about whatever the hell we wanted, until dad came in and told us it was lights out.

Ally had hid the jar and spoons under the pillow when she heard the footsteps and I couldn't stop laughing at her action.

We did end up finishing the jar in the end, and I bid her a goodnight before heading off to my cell, right next to hers.

"Hey, Al." I heard Daryl say from Ally's cell as I just get in bed, but then it was all muffled after that. I stared at the bottom of the top bunk(I sleep on the bottom bunk, just incase something happens and I need to hurry out of bed), not being able to sleep at all.

Ally was on my mind and she wouldn't leave. There were butterflies in my stomach and my heart was beating so loud, I was sure the whole prison could hear.

What is up with me?

Why do I feel this way?

Eventually I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

~~~