Chapter Twenty: Seeing is Believing✔️

[Tardis]

Emily sat curled up in the corner of her room, blank pieces of paper scattered around her. Hugging her legs tightly, she buried her into her knees and tried to stop the tears from falling.

"Hey, Emily. Just wanted t-" the Doctor said coming into her room. He trailed off as he looked around the at mess, becoming concerned when his eyes came upon the youngest Pond. "Emily?"

"Go away."

He frowned, instantly knowing what was troubling the girl. Softly shutting the door closed behind him, he carefully picked his way through the room.

It was a war zone of ripped paper, canvases, paint and pencils.

"He doesn't turn up."

The red haired girl lifted her head slightly, watery eyes staring blankly in front of her.

"Emily?" He said, cautiously crouching in front of her.

Her red rimmed and puffy eyes flickered towards him, tears threatening to spill over.

"I thought if- if I could d-draw him, them m-maybe she would remember him a-and then he could come b-back. But he just disappears. Every time." She choked out, tears finally falling free down her face.

The Doctor felt his hearts twist painfully and he sank down next to her, carefully taking her hand and prying the pencil from it.

"What do you mean, he disappears?" He asked her gently, rubbing circles into her hand.

Instead of answering, Emily nodded weakly to one of the various sheets of paper littered around her.

Letting go of her hand, the Doctor slowly picked it up and turned it over.

It was Rory.

Even as he stared at it, the drawing continued to faded until all the was left was a blank piece of paper.

He looked around the room in a new light, the countless sheets of paper and white canvases filling him with sadness.

"Oh, Emmy." He whispered, placing an arm around her shoulder and kissing her temple. "I don't think it's that simple."

"Why not?" She sobbed curling into his side. "For once, why can't it be simple?"

"I don't know." He told her sadly. "I don't know."

•|•

The Doctor walked into the control room, a solemn frown ruling his face.

"So, where're we going this time? Did she tell you?"

He ignored Amy and made his way to the centre console, circling it until he got to the scanner.

"Doctor? What's wrong?"

"Amy, right now, I need you to trust me. Can you do that?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Good."

"Wh-"

"She needs a distraction." He said, interrupting her and finally tearing his gaze from the screen. "We all do."

"Doctor?"

- A Few Days Later -

[Musée d'Orsay]