85. Well

85. Well

"Here, take Lambo."

Ryohei handed me the cow child carefully, slipping him as gently as his flamboyant instincts could will itself to, and finished with one bright, sunny smile.

"He did really good!" Ryohei assured me, his smile an incredibly contagious symptom I couldn't resist catching.

Cradling Lambo gently in my arms, I brought him closer. "I'll bring him back," it was like a promise, "somewhere safer."

Lambo was now sleeping soundly-- a light snore in the air, already drooling into my shirt. He was covered in dust in some places, but I hugged him close regardless. 

"Be careful," I warned Ryohei, the emotion escaping my lips before my mind could remind myself of the outcome of this battle, "And please don't get too hurt anymore." I was genuinely worried, genuinely concerned-- despite my knowing of the events that will then occur.

"Don't worry!" Ryohei patted me on the back, surprisingly gently for his boisterous nature, "We'll be extremely fine!"

His bright grin shone like the sun-- Hibari, by the side, let out a huff in slight, dismissive agreement. Or perhaps, he was just sighing, I couldn't tell.

I gave Mukuro one last look-- and catching my gaze, Mukuro's lips curled up slightly. "Go on now," he urged, "Before you get caught up in the battle." 

My eyes ran over everyone one last time-- then, with one curt bow, I turned around, then ran through and out of the Mist Barrier.

-

"Rei, what happened just now? We lost contact for thirty-five seconds." 

Reborn's voice in the communications device was stoical, as usual, but now it seemed a little rushed. He was worried.

I was now walking back toward base-- walking, because I wouldn't make the whole way back running. 

"Sorry, Reborn. I got kinda caught up in the battle. I'm headed back to base right now, carrying Lambo and-" I fumbled over my words, trying to focus on the receiver, Lambo and the way back at the same time, "You'll be hearing about the battle condition from Gokudera in a moment."

"Are you uninjured?"

"I'm uninjured," I assured him irritably. Irritably, because an annoying thought had come to my mind. Lambo, littered with wounds and dust and mud, even a child like him was suffering, having fought in the battle.

Yet here I am-- without a single wound, unlike everyone else on the battlefield. I'm the coward that runs from fight, just lurking in the shadows.

The Dirty Rat of the Vongola, not just a name that bragged his information gathering skills, but also boasted his incredibly shameless cowardice.