epilogue

September 21st, 2017

The screams and cheering were loud but seemed insignificant and dull to the slow and achy pound of Jungkook's heart inside him. He knew those screams would get louder once he and his band members went on stage, but his heart would as well.

The young maknae of BTS stood backstage with his sweaty hands inside his red jacket, feeling the notion to pace though that seemed impossible. Dozens of people rushed by and Jungkook felt like he was inside a glass case in a museum as he watched them. They all moved with purpose and seemed anxious just like he did, but they didn't have the heart that wanted to explode inside. They didn't have to go on stage and dance and sing.

Wiping his palms on his pants, Jungkook straightened up when he saw a makeup artist coming toward him with a kit of eyeshadow, undoubtedly for him. The man smiled slightly as the makeup artist dipped her brush in the powder and fixed the other artist's makeup.

She stared at him curiously for a minute like she was studying him, and then shook her head and pulled out a cloth and wiped his forehead, making Jungkook wonder if he really had made that much sweat in such a short period.

"Good luck on your first DNA performance," said the female artist quietly while fluffing his brown hair slightly for the show. She was significantly shorter than him, but her caring nature that filled up Jungkook briefly was nothing short. "And don't be nervous, really, you and the others always do well and you always impress your fans no matter what you do."

Jungkook would have smiled at the woman's kindness, but as the sweat showed, he was much too nervous to do a simple act. Even so, she was simply doing her job in doing his makeup and there was no reason to stall her while she had other duties to attend to.

"Thank you, Karla," he whispered her name from her name tag rolling off his tongue. He bowed his head respectfully to the lady and gave a miniscule smile. Nodding briskly with a tiny grin, the woman hurried off.

Jungkook watched her until she was out of sight, then sighed deeply.

This feeling of anxiety usually never touched Jungkook. The maknae wasn't known for his cordial personality, he was one of the more ambiguous members but that didn't mean he would shy away when he was on stage.

The first time and one of the only times he had ever been truly nervous before a concert was BTS's debut performance of No More Dream when the young man was only 15 years old. Now Jungkook was 20 and he still felt like a hormonal and distressed teenager.

Dancing to DNA on a stage was not foreign. The popular band had been pre-recorded dancing to the catchy tune so popular networks could post their lives on YouTube quickly. That certainly was not why Jungkook was so on edge.

The other members, even the ones that didn't specialize in dancing, knew the dance like they were born with knowing the moves. The song was so frequent in Jungkook's head he was certain that his thinking voice was the low mechanical voice that said "DNA." Even the rappers were caught mumbling the chorus, though whether it was good or not was questionable. His dancing was certainly not the problem, there was no question in that.