Chapter 53: The Hunting

The corner of RED's bedroom was usually empty. An end table with a golden lamp seemed to be enough aesthetic to keep them happy. A charger strung from the outlet on the wall and over the end table to their bed. If it weren't for the lamp, the corner would be dark enough to hide something.

RED reached their hand down over and inside the lampshade. They grabbed the bulb and turned it until it unscrewed from the slot. They sat it back down to hold the bulb upright, but if someone turned on the lamp, it wouldn't light up.

It'll have to do, RED thought. These supplies have to go somewhere... RED's fingerprints were on the handles of the gas cans. They couldn't leave them out there with Danny and the burnt cabin.

RED pulled the end table out away from the wall. They sat the gas cans down in the dark corner and threw an old blanket over them. They reached down and tucked the blanket so that nothing could be seen. They moved the end table back in front of the covered gas cans, checked again to make sure the lamp wouldn't turn on, then leaned against their bed.

-----

"Hey, Adam," Evelyn leaned in for a hug. The coffee shop was about half empty, but the smell of bitter coffee and flavorings were full.

"Hey, Eve, how are you doing?" Adam asked just to ask. He wasn't genuinely concerned with how she was doing; it's just what people asked to break the ice.

"I'm doing okay. My side where Natalie shot me is a little painful today," she chuckled. Ice broken. "Do you know Derrick?" she asked.

"Yeah, I've heard of him, but we're not really friends." Everyone's heard of Derrick at this point.

"I invited him to come and have coffee with us... if you don't mind?"

"No, that's fine!" Adam's family was pretty popular, so Adam was used to meeting new, random people all the time.

When Derrick showed up, he dropped his keys in the parking lot. He huffed as he shoved them back into his pocket. Rough day. He walked inside and met with Evelyn and Adam.

"Hey, it's Derrick," Derrick reached out to shake Adam's hand. Derrick's eyes seemed a little swollen. It's not something you'd notice, but once you did, you would know Derrick had been crying.

"Adam!" he smiled. His handshake was firm.

They sat down together and let the small talk run the conversation for a while. Derrick had his coffee, Evelyn had her tea, and Adam was making new friends. It crossed Derrick's mind that he could ditch Zach and be friends with Adam. Maybe he wouldn't feel so lonely. After all, Adam hasn't been around. He didn't see Derrick at his worst.

"Yeah, my dad works so much for this town, and when he's not working he's out in the woods somewhere hunting. I don't get to see him as much as I'd like," Adam said.

Derrick's eyebrows rose on his face.

"My dad used to take me out hunting all the time. I don't hunt anymore... I never saw the joy in it," Evelyn told him.

"Me either," Adam said.

Something stuck with Derrick. Adam's dad was "out in the woods somewhere hunting".

Derrick slid back in his chair and pulled his phone from his pocket. He was back to searching the internet for clues. This time, he was searching someone new: Adam Stone.

***Do you think Derrick will find anything on Adam Stone? Is Evelyn talking to and becoming friends with the wrong person? Will RED get caught with the gas cans in the corner?

If you liked this chapter, please hit the star to vote! That would really help me out. Also, comment your thoughts! I respond to all.