Chapter One

I was nervous to say the least. I hadn't seen my mother since I was thirteen, that was ten years ago. Ten years without the person most people would say is the most important in your life. A mother is supposed to care and love you always.

What a joke that is.

I've been living with my father and his wonderful wife, Nora, who I'd consider more of a mom than my own. But unfortunately fate didn't have my best interest in mind. My mother needed me and for the first time, I needed her.

My father recently had gotten very ill, lung cancer, stage two. He wasn't rich in money, but growing up I and my step sister, Julia, had the best childhood. Both him and Nora made up for the lack of funds in love and precious memories.

My mother, on the other hand, was extremely wealthy. She left my father all those years ago for a man that could only satisfy her with things. In fact, she married the richest man in New York who was known for being ruthless. Dimitri Sterling.

The name itself was enough to run the other way.

But the one thing they couldn't buy was me.

Until now.

Mother needed me for publicity, she said and I quote, "The world will eat it up at our reunion!"

I, of course, denied. But she offered to fully pay for my fathers medical bills and get him the best treatment.

How could I deny the chance to give my father's life back?

Here I sat in a luxurious limo my mother had gotten for me to pick me up from the airport. My hands were folded in my lap as I twirled my thumbs around each other. A habit I've had most of my life.

I felt my legs stick to the slick leather. Even the blasting air condition couldn't cool my nerves.

It's summer in New York and I knew enough from watching Gossip Girl that it was beyond humid. My home is in Arizona, where warm is never an issue, but humidity didn't exist.

I'd only been to her house once. She invited me to Christmas when I was thirteen. I went and regretted it immediately. We spent no time together once we arrived back from whatever Christmas ball we had attended that night. Mother used me to look like the perfect family.

She has one child with Dimitri who is my half brother. His name is a Collin, he's a clone of his father I swear. Collin is only four, so I couldn't have ill feelings toward him... yet.

"Ms. Rivera," the driver spoke, looking back at me through the mirror. "we've arrived."

I nodded and grabbed onto my purse about to open my door, but someone had beat me to it. I got out of the car and thanked the man who had opened my door.

The house- well, mansion- looked the same. Beautiful, gigantic, and cold. Nothing about this house had any character. It was perfect, in the worst way. The only thing that calmed my nerves as I walked up the stoned stairway to the door was the loud rush of the water fountain behind me.

I knocked only once before the door opened yet again for me. I walked in, the bags in my hands were quickly taken from me.

I am definitely not at home anymore.

The clicking of my shoes echoed with each step. The interior was absolutely beautiful. It hadn't changed at all in those years since I'd been here. Not a single item was out of place.

"Darling!" I looked up to see my mother at the top of the grand staircase, smiling down. The house might not have changed, but she has. Not even botox could hide getting older. She stood in front of me, ten years she hadn't reached out. That's all I could think about when I saw her face. We looked so much alike. I had her thick brown hair that fell in soft waves naturally. Around eyes were almond shaped and our lips full. "We have a gala to attend tonight, your gown you will wear is hung up in your room." My room? I thought. I didn't have a room here, this wasn't my home.

She didn't even care enough to catch up on the last ten years of my life. So much has changed. I'd gone to college, finished college, nearly started a career if it weren't for my father getting sick. But no, we didn't talk about anything because I was just another business deal to her. A pawn in her game.

"Where is that exactly?" I asked.

Her surprised expression got me annoyed. "Oh, you don't remember?" She asked.

I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes. Obviously I didn't remember otherwise I wouldn't be asking. "No,"

"Milly!" She called out.

I did remember Milly. She was my mother's oldest housekeeper. She'd been around since my mother and Dimitri got married. I was fond of her, Milly was always nice to me as a child even if I only met her that one when I stayed for a week. Occasionally I'd get pictures sent to my house of my little brother and she was the one who sent them to me.

Milly approached us, looking the same. She was older years ago and luckily she didn't look like she'd aged anymore. "Ms. Sterling," she greeted.

"Milly, how are you?" I warmly greeted, pulling her in for a hug.

"Oh, I'm good, Ms. Rivera." She said, surprised at my greeting, but nonetheless hugged me back.

I pulled away to see my mother looking uncomfortable. Good. "Would you show me where I'm staying?" I asked her, knowing my mother would have just demanded it.

Milly nodded. "Did you need anything, Ms. Sterling?"

Mother shook her head before Milly took me up the stairs and to my room.

She opened the door for me, revealing the bedroom which was much bigger than I remembered. Everything was neutral colors. White, beige, grey... of course it was just another beautiful room. It had everything you'd need. Furniture, walk-in closet, balcony, bathroom. This was nearly the size of half of my house back home. "Fresh towels in the bathroom, would you be needing anything else?"

I turned and gave a small smile, shaking my head. "No, Milly, thank you for everything." I said and she shut the door as she left.

I walked over to the bed and flopped back on it, staring at the high ceiling. What have I gotten myself into?

Groaning, I sit back up and walk to the closet where the dress I'm wearing was hung up. It was red and looked to be form fitting but was also strapless. I picked it up to see it had a slit cut out to show my leg.

There was a knock on my door before it was pushed open by a blonde woman. "Hi! I'm Patty, your stylist for tonight." My world really has been flipped upside down...

Three hours later Patty had finished and I looked beautiful. I didn't want to sound vain, but she had seriously worked some magic because I hardly recognized myself. My hair was in big voluminous curls. My makeup was flawless and you'd couldn't see a single blemish.

I put on the dress and truly felt like a princess. I couldn't believe that this is the world my mother had been living in for years. I've only been here for a few hours and it was all overwhelming.

Another knock came from the door and I opened it to see my mother. She looked beautiful as well, as always. "Wear these," She said, opening the box to reveal a set of beautiful diamond earrings and matching necklace.

"N-no, that's too much." I said, scared I'd lose one.

She shook her head. "Anastasia, these are your grandmothers, I'm not giving them to you, but they'd  make for a perfect cover story. People magazine will be there tonight." And she ruined the moment.

My face drew blank, not knowing to respond. She took my hand and placed the box in it before walking away.

This is her game.