Chapter Twenty-Nine

Korra's POV

"....sentenced to 5 years....." The judge continued to ramble on as the words faded out. My ears were ringing incessantly, pulsating inside my brain. I couldn't hear anything. My chest was beginning to constrict in my chest, my palms beginning to sweat and an episode of non-stop shivering was breaking out.

Great, another panic attack.

Looking around the room, I could see the mixed reactions of the audience. Some people were clapping and cheering, content evident in their eyes. Others were booing, groaning as the guards began to handcuff my father and drag him to the back of the courtroom.

I, on the other hand, sat still on the bench right at the front of the room. The sensation of being shaken back and forth by my shoulders was a little faint, but noticeable. I continued to stare absently at the floor, on my hands, anything I could set my eyes on beneath everything else. My breaths were short and sharp. I was close to fainting like I did last time, but I restrained myself, trying to remain composed.

"...Korra.." The sound of my name was only starting to travel to my ears. Everything was still blurry, so I stayed still, my head hanging down.

"I'll take you to your dad." recognizing Bolin's voice, I nodded and let myself be held by the waist and taken to wherever they took my father. At least they let the families of the convicted see them one last time before they get dragged to prison, that was a good thing, I guess.

Why did I even bother hoping? Why did I even try? The evidence against him was too much and they all added up. We were never gonna win. No matter how much I knew that my father changed, my words alone can't change the opinion of complete strangers, especially if those strangers valued facts more than anything else.

Bolin and I were about to step towards the back entrance of the courtroom when my mother blocked our way. She had a smug look on her face, delighted by how everything went her way. I felt disgusted. How can I be related to someone so vile?

"You two aren't going anywhere." She declared, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Ms Senna with all due respect, Korra has every right to see her father one last time." Bolin voiced out, which took me by surprise. Not many people had the guts to talk back to my mother and for that I was glad.

She shifted her weight on one leg, and put her hands on her hips. "Well, according to the law, Korra is in my custody now." She forcefully grabbed my arm, her grip so tight that it would probably leave a mark. "You're coming with me."

Thankfully, my strength was somewhat restored, so I yanked my arm back to my side.

"I'm never going anywhere with you." I glared at her.

I was done being treated like a doll, yanked from one side to another. I was done moving by the strings of a puppeteer to cater to their amusement. I was done being left on the sideline, to be dealt with only at a convenient hour to someone else.

I've had enough.

"I hate you." I stormed out of the courthouse, leaving my mother and her jaw hanging wide open. 

I should've felt remorse or guilt when those words escaped my mouth. But I didn't. I should've felt sorry for leaving Bolin on his own to fend for himself against my mother. But I didn't.

Instead, I was fuming. I didn't even realise how hard I was clenching my fists until I felt a dripping sensation. My hands were thoroughly painted in red. Open cuts in the shape of my nails were clearly visible. I wiped them on the skinny jeans that I was wearing. Frankly, I didn't care if it left a stain.

I was walking around aimlessly around the city. I didn't know where else to go. Bolin was the one who gave me a ride to the court. I dug into my pockets. Good thing, I had enough money to get back to town.

I hailed a taxi from the crossroads. From the corner of my eye, I saw the driver glancing over at me. I reached into my back pocket and fetched my phone. When I turned it on, I saw several missed calls, almost all of them from Bolin. One was from my mother, of course threatening me to come home.

But the one person who I needed, didn't care enough to even send a single message.

It was getting late. The clothes I was currently wearing weren't exactly winter-friendly, so I was shivering. But I didn't want to go home, not yet anyway.

So I decided to go to the place where it all began.

~~~~

Asami's POV

Somewhere along the way, the universe stopped moving entirely around me. Though I couldn't exactly pinpoint where it started. Maybe it was when I fell from the huge oak tree in the middle of my garden or was it when I got into a car accident and broke my left leg? Maybe I was just being too philosophical. Maybe I was just trying to distract myself from everything else.

I finally decided to stop moaning and get up from the bed. It was already noon, and I had already missed breakfast. I trudged towards the dining room, greeted by a few maids and our head butler, Mr Mason.

"Good morning miss," He greeted as he pulled back a chair and gestured for me to sit. Once I was seated, he signalled to the maids, which cued them to place my breakfast on the table.

I was in the process of eating my scrambled eggs and watching the news when suddenly a familiar face was on the headlines.

"Yesterday afternoon, Mr Tonraq, the husband of the renowned Ms Senna was convicted guilty of domestic abuse of his daughter, Ms Korra." The reporter spoke as footages from the courtroom flashed on the screen. I watched a footage of Korra storming out of the room played out. For the first time ever I saw Korra with an unreadable expression. There was a lot of anger in her eyes, but there was also something else. But I couldn't figure it out.

Seeing her like that, my chest felt restricted. Like I was a voodoo doll being pierced through the heart with a needle. I hit my chest three times, to rid of the pain. I needed to forget. It was for the best.

Once I finished breakfast, I headed to school. It was our last week but we still had to suffer through exams. Like everyone else, I wasn't in the mood for them, but I had no choice.

Once I arrived, there was already a hoard of reporters waiting outside the building. They had their phones and other recording devices at the ready, waiting impatiently as they tapped their shoes on the frosted gravel floor. It was already showing signs of early snowfall. I hate winter.

Once the limo parked outside the school gates, some reporters poked their heads in its direction. As I stepped outside, their interest dispersed.

I tried to keep to myself, but couldn't help but overhear loud chatter. There were a few girls on the cheerleading team, gossiping away near their lockers.

"Gosh, what's so interesting about that weirdo? What was her name?" a blonde girl from the group voiced out. She's probably the self-proclaimed queen bee.

"Korra." My head snapped to their direction. I slowed my pace down, being careful not to make myself known to them.

"It was a rhetorical question, Savannah," The queen bee rolled her eyes. Savannah lowered her head down.

"Anyway, I heard she went missing after her deadbeat dad's trial." She twirled the ends of her hair with her finger.

I clenched my fists hard as I stared at her, my blood boiling as she stood there flicking her hair.

"If you ask me, I'm glad she's gone. One loser out of the picture."

The next few seconds were honestly a blur to me. Once I had realised what I was doing, it was already too late, as the queen bee or should I say bitch, was already on the floor, screaming as she covered half of her face.

My hand was dripping with blood and people were huddled around us, not just students but the reporters too.

The cameras flashed repeatedly around me.

S***.