seven

October 1st 2016

When there's a knock on the front door, Camila dives in front of her mother to answer it, because she automatically knows it's Lauren; she said she'd arrive around four for their babysitting duties slash sleepover.

Not that she's been camped out in the lounge, in the seat closest to the door all day or anything.

She's still a little surprised that Lauren said yes; surely she has better things to do on a Saturday night than hang out with Camila and her little sister.

Camila shakes that train of thought straight away. Of course Lauren said yes. This is a dream. It's all being manufactured by Camila's subconscious and she's slowly been forgetting that.

(It is eerily real, but only crazy people announce they're from another universe, and she's not crazy.)

She opens the door, and her heart flutters at the person standing on the porch. Lauren is there, her hair tied back in a messy ponytail, her face free of makeup, her stuffed Nala tucked under her arm and a backpack casually slung over one shoulder.

"Hey, Camz," Lauren greets her, "how are you?"

"I'm... good," Camila hesitates, but flashes a smile. "You?"

"Also good. I was looking forward to hanging with you, actually. Sorry I came in my sweats but I figured since it's a sleepover, I might as well be comfy." Lauren smiles, stepping over the threshold. Camila closes the door behind her. "What did you do today?"

Camila spies her mother hovering behind the door to the lounge, and carefully steers Lauren upstairs. "Not much, just hung out, watched TV. You?"

"I slept at Lucy's last night and we spent most of today together." Lauren answers. "You know, I think she smoked too much today. She was saying all of this weird shit, but she's always like that when she's high. I would've smoked too, but I don't want to be a bad influence on little Camzi."

Camila's heart sinks. People always look at her like a little sibling; even her Lauren had. That's why her first kiss – their first kiss – had been a pity one. She knows that now. "I'm not little. I'm only in the grade below you."

"Whatever, little Camz," Lauren teases her, "you're still younger. So, is it you I'm babysitting, or is your little sister hiding somewhere? From what I remember, Sofi isn't one to be quiet."

"I think my mom is probably holding her back in the lounge," Camila shrugs, not sure where her sister is. "My parents aren't going out until six, so we've got some time to hang out without being responsible for a kid."

"Cool," Lauren nods, and Camila opens up her bedroom door, gesturing inside. Lauren grins at her. "Damn, I get doors held open for me here. I might move in."

Camila flushes, but laughs. "If a little chivalry is all it takes for you to want to move in... I'll clear out the spare room."

Lauren snorts, and makes a beeline for Camila's bed, sitting down on it. "So, what's the plan?"

"I guess we're hanging out until my parents leave, and then we'll babysit," Camila shrugs, wishing she'd planned this more. "Sofi goes to bed at nine on weekends, so we'll probably put her to bed and then watch a movie or something? We can go to bed whenever."

Lauren nods. "Sounds good. What time will you want rid of me tomorrow? I told my mom I'd let her know when I'll be home."

I don't want you to leave at all, Camila thinks, but she doesn't voice that thought. Instead, she just shrugs, trying to seem casual. "Um, whenever you want. I don't mind."