i'm not jealous

prompt: #55, "i'm not jealous!"

"Is it true, Y/N?"

Groaning, you sat up and pulled on the string on your lamp, light immediately filling the room. You looked over at your clock. 3:49 am. "Steve, it's nearly 4 in the morning. I have no clue what you're talking about."

"You know, Y/N."

"I really don't, Steve!" You ran your hand over your face as you held the phone up to your ear. Your eyes were barely staying open. "Please, explain yourself."

"Tommy."

"This can't be good," you whispered.

"He said that you're cheating on me."

"You seriously believe that kid, Steve?" you groaned again. "I can't believe you right now. You're taking his word over mine? It's Tommy. It's me. I would never cheat on you!"

"He had... pictures."

"Pictures?"

"Yeah. I don't know if it was you but that Byers kid had pictures and it looked like you and—"

"Hold up. You're believing Tommy H., and now Jonathan Byers? Over me!" you were fuming with anger now. Before he could speak, you cut him off. "It is four in the goddamn morning, Steve Harrington, and you call because you have a sneaking suspicion that I might be cheating on you. According to Jonathan Byers and Tommy H. I cannot believe you! I have my midterms tomorrow, Steve! I've been studying for months, and you know this, too! Have some decency, would you?"

Angrily, you slammed the phone down and fell back onto your bed.

A few hours later, you woke up to find the same boy who called you in the middle of the night standing over you. "Jesus, Steve!" you nearly screamed as you opened your eyes to reveal the boy watching you.

"Sorry. Your mom let me in."

"What do you want?" you snarled, throwing the covers over you. Swinging your legs out of the bed, your feet made contact with the floor as you walked to your closet.

"To explain myself."

"I gave you that chance last night, Steve," you pulled a pair of sweatpants out of your drawer. After sliding them on, you looked down to see the familiar school logo on the right leg and Steve's number and printed across the left. Sighing, you looked up at your boyfriend of nearly seven months. You crossed your arms over your black sports bra and looked at his eyes. "You have a minute."

So he explained himself. Steve started from the very beginning, where Tommy had made a rumour about you and another boy from your school hooking up. It was more than a minute after Steve had finished his explanation. You walked over to him, wrapping your arms around his neck and leaning your head on his chest. Steve held the small of your back and pressed your bodies together as he stroked your hair.

"It's not true."

"I know," his voice cracked, and so did your heart. "I just don't want to lose you, Y/N."

"You won't," you whispered and couldn't tell if Steve heard you or not until he pulled away and kissed you softly.

"You're too good for him, anyway," he said and you laughed. "Seriously. Plus, you're mine. Nobody else's."

"Are you jealous, Steve Harrington?"

"I'm not jealous!" he exclaimed a little too fast and you giggled. Suddenly, his face fell.  "I'm sorry."

"Hey, hey, hey," you looked at him. "Don't be. I'd probably do the same thing if I were in your position. Okay?"

"Okay," he nodded and smiled softly. This time, you were the one to kiss him.