i didnt want to wake you up. you looked so peaceful

prompt: #87, "i didn't want to wake you. you looked so peaceful."

It was Saturday night and you just happened to stay the night at Steve's, your best friend of ten years and next door neighbour of twelve. He had convinced you to go to one of Tina's epic parties, and it was a major regret the day after. You drank too much, and that was an understatement. After three hours of the party, Steve decided to take you home.

"Steve! I'm fine!" you slumped out of his grip, collapsing onto the cement sidewalk, skidding your knees. You fell onto your ass and looked up at an angry-faced Steve Harrington. "I don't want to go home!"

"But you need to sleep, Y/N."

"I'm fine," you looked up at him. He reached his hand out and lifted you up. "I swear. I'm fine. I'm not even that drunk!"

"You're slurring your words and can't even walk on your own."

"Yes I can!" you let go of his hands and stepped back, immediately falling back into his arms. He huffed as he slung an arm around your lower back, lifting you into his arms. He placed another hand under your thighs and carried you bridal style down the road, despite you kicking and you screaming. "Steve! Let me down! Steve!"

"Steve! I swear, I'm not even that drunk!"

"You're drunk enough to get your ass grounded if you stumble home like this!" he claimed and finally settled you down onto the ground. Shaking your head, you took his arm and wrapped it around your waist to balance you. "You can stay at my place tonight, okay? I'll call your mom when we get back to my house and explain that you're just staying the night. She loves me, so she won't get too mad. Okay? How does that sound?"

"Quit talking to me like I'm five years old, Steven."

"Quit calling me Steven."

"Too late, Steven," you giggled and he shoved you slightly, causing you to stumble into a tree. "Ouchie!" you groaned as you smacked your head off of a branch and he just laughed as you rubbed your hurting nose.

"Idiot."

"Hey!"

"I love you," he cooed as you shoved him back. Twenty minutes later and you stumbled into his bedroom, collapsing onto his bed. After a while, Steve came up and fell back onto his bed, beside you.

"Mm," you murmured, slinging a leg across his torso. He brought a hand up, stroking your hair as you rested your head on his chest. "I love you, Steve."

"I love you too, Y/N."

"No, I meant it," you looked up at him. It was dark, seeing as he turned the light off, but the moon lit up his face. "Like, for real. I love you so much. Like, I'm in love with you. Like, I would totally marry you right now if my mom wouldn't kill me, love."

"Okay," his voice cracked and you could tell something was wrong.

"Steve?"

"Yeah, Y/N?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he shook his head. You looked up at him and he sighed. "I, just, it's nothing. You're drunk and don't know what you're talking about."

"Drunk words, sober thoughts."

"What?"

"I may be drunk right now, but I'm speaking the truth," you slurred, your head falling back onto his chest. He breathed heavily as your head bobbed up and down with the rhythm of his breaths. "Sorry."

"It's okay."

A couple hours later, you woke up to the sun shining in through Steve's blinds. Groggily, you sat up and looked around. You had somehow changed into one of Steve's shirts — only Steve's shirt, for that matter — and was under the covers.

"Steve?" you called, climbing out of the bed. You found him in the kitchen, a minute later, eating a piece of toast. His face lit up as you walked into the kitchen, some alcohol still in your system.

"Y/N. How'd you sleep?"

"Good. Why didn't you wake me?"

"I didn't want to wake you up. You looked so peaceful," he grinned and you rolled your eyes.

"Cheesy," you answered with a grin, rubbing your head. "Do you—"

"Here," Steve handed you two pills and you graciously took them, downing them dry and walked over to him. You wrapped your arms around his waist and rested your face on his back. "So, um, about last night..."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say what I said," you sighed. "I mean, it wasn't a lie. I just... wish I hadn't said it."

"Why?" he pulled away, turning around. You shrugged, looking down. "I mean, why do you regret it?"

"Because it's... embarrassing," he made a face, signalling you to elaborate on that. So you did. "I've known you for so long, Steve. You've been my best friend for ten years. That's a long time. And I may have just ruined it because I got too drunk and said something that I've been hiding for years."

"Years?"

"I mean—"

"You've liked me for years?"

"Yeah..." nervously, you bit your lip and looked down. Steve placed two fingers under your chin and lifted your head slightly, meeting your eyes. "Don't be mad."

This made him laugh. "Why the hell would I be mad?"

"I don't know..."

"I'm not. I'm... happy, actually."

You furrowed your eyebrows at him in confusion. "Huh?"

"I feel the same."

"You're joking."

"Nope. Sadly," he teased and you shoved him. "But seriously. I just didn't want to say anything because, well, you mean to much to me. I'd rather be stuck in the friend zone for a billion, zillion years than not in your life at all, Y/N."

"I love you so much," you blurted and pushed your lips against his.